Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

complimentary dealership washes suck!

View Poll Results: do dealership carwashes leave your truck dirtier than when you dropped it off?
YES.... 117 45.88%
NO!! 80 31.37%
CARWASH what is this?!?!?! 58 22.75%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #42
buddyfixit is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
buddyfixit's Tacoma Gallery
I NEVER let any1 wash me truck. Only person responsible for truck looking as good as it does is me. I specifically tell the dealerships not to wash. They "prepped" the truck for me at delivery and it wasnt as clean as It is when i wash. Just cant beat the satisfaction of job well done. Not too mention they always spank the tires like my 4x4 cruises the streets in the hood at night.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #43
phantomblackgto is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
phantomblackgto's Tacoma Gallery
Here was my brand new truck after they detailed it prior to delivery. Scratches in the clear coat from using a dirty towel to wipe it down.

Raised hell with them and they offered to "fix" it. I told them no way were they touching my truck again. Spent about 10 hours buffing, polishing, and waxing it to get it back to new. They did give me $200 worth of free service work for my time. Took it in to have them swap out my TPMS sensors from my old stock wheels to my new wheels (they did this as part of my free service work from f***ing up the truck the first time) and to have an alignment done after installing my 5100's. They dismounted my old tires and swapped the sensors into my new wheels for $100 and did the alignment for $100 (my $200 worth of free service work). I had just detailed the truck before I took it in (looked like this):

I specifically told them the truck had just been detailed and not to wash it. The service work they did was fine, but here's what it looked like when I got it back (not to mention the grease on the seats and door panel):

After bitching again, they sent me a check for $100 to reimburse me for the alignment. I have to say they are at least trying to make it good for me (they're paying me about $25/hour to detail my truck), but I will insist they do not ever wash or detail my truck again.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #44
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
You get what you pay for....
Old 06-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #45
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
this thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #46
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You told them not to wash it . You detailed your truck before you took it in for the work ? I would have waited till after .
Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #47
phantomblackgto is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
phantomblackgto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
You told them not to wash it . You detailed your truck before you took it in for the work ? I would have waited till after .
Apparently, I didn't make it clear enough to them. That won't be a problem next time. IMO, I shouldn't have to wait until I get it back to detail it if I specifically tell them not to wash it. You would think they should be smart enough to see it doesn't need washing in the first place. Obviously, some people just don't give a shit. I do.

To answer the OP's question, yes, dealer washes suck.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #48
Fear no fish
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Name: Tucker
tuckdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleeharris View Post
I love Toyota of Boerne (bought 3 Toys there) but since Vic Vaughan built their in-house prep/wash center, there washes have gone straight down hill. Just there this past Wednesday and had the oil changed, etc... got the wash for free. But it's not so much a wash is it is "dirt displacement."
dirt displacement is an excellent way of describing that carwash. we've bought 3 cars through them too. the maintenence guys take care of me but they pull some stupid shit sometimes... espically the wash center.. i just about watched them t-bone a camery in the parking lot pulling it up for me... but i usually walk away with all my parts for free so im usually a happy camper!

i also only use adams polishes on my paint and clean microfibers.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #49
RadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
RadSurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't mind a free wash, however, it's when they use a dirty greasy rag to wipe down the inside window, watch them wash the wheels with a rag and then wipe down the hood with the same rag and things like this that make me say fk that sht.

And for the guys saying 'what do you expect, it's free' well, I expect anyone who get's paid for a job to do the fking job right. I don't give a crap if it's min wage, they are still getting paid. I work hard and give it my all in anything I do. There's no excuse for wiping down the inside windshield with a dirty rag, that's just careless and no pride in your work. It's part of the jaded self entitled point of view that's permeating the newer generations...
Old 07-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #50
cobra kai is on a distinguished road
cobra kai's Tacoma Gallery
I just detailed my truck, took it in for the 5k service, told them not to wash it, and they washed it. A glossy perfectly clean truck came back with water spots all over the body, windows, door jams. They didn't even put the antenna back on the truck. I was beyond pissed. Next time I will be very clear that they will be paying for the detail if it happens again. The sad thing is that if he was lazy he would have been relieved to do less work, this just means he's a dumb ass.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #51
TRD12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
TRD12's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone ever consider making a sign to put on the dash or slip under the wiper saying "DO NOT WASH"? I have yet to take my truck to the dealer for service but intend to print up a few of these and post them everywhere to make it idiot-proof.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #52
subwayaz is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft, Maint
subwayaz's Tacoma Gallery
Ah I guess we should be grateful for at least getting it rinsed off. Less that we'll have to do later and most of us would detail our vehicle later anyway
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #53
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
this thread
exactly
Old 01-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #54
Remember?
sr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to beholdsr5vic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bret
sr5vic's Tacoma Gallery
Right after i signed the papers and went to drive away in my new 2013 A/C 4x4, i find that they've taken it to "quickly get washed, and it and fill it up for me". Half an hour later and countless "want a coffee or water?" from the salesman; i finally get to sign the owners acceptance cert. and get the hell out of there. I look at it and... ITS SCRATCHED TO SHIT. Whatever minimal wage dumb fuck washed it must of had rocks in his rag/brush. Got them to pay for a full detail... at another detail shop :P . im just glad they where able to buff them out. ill never let the dealer touch my truck again.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #55
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
I dropped my truck off filthy... it came back cleaner than before. but not much
Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #56
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Never taken a vehicle to a dealership because I do all the work myself. I have been through a car wash before in my friend's white Civic- it came out dirtier than it was before we entered. Soap scum all over the car, and all the dirt was still on it. I could rub the dirt off with my finger, so that tells you how crappy the wash was.
I'll just wash my cars myself.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #57
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
I think it varies from place to place! I worked at a dealership and yeah the carwash was basically a shitty thing to say they had and make the car wet..... didn't really actually clean anything and did damage paint from time to time.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #58
DikDikerson is on a distinguished road
Name: Devon
DikDikerson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
u guys are wayyyyy too picky lol

its a truck! but i guess im far from clean on my truck, you guys by the sounds of it wouldnt even drive your trucks here :P

When you're driving around in the salt, slush, and snow any kind of hose down is a good thing.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #59
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I have never been to my dealer to have work done (like a local place better), but I wont let anyone but me wash my truck....speaking of which, I need to do that....

I usually will run through touch free car washes, and hand wash it only when I have the time to wax etc...

correct me if I am wrong, but dont some dealers have a touch free car wash thing in the center?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #60
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the overpriced stuff we buy nowadays isn't worth a shit so how can anyone expect anything for free to anywhere near being worth a shit. Free shit at a dealership should be a big flashing warning signal to pass on, no matter what it is because the only thing free will be the fucking you and your vehicle get. The only thing people take pride in anymore is how much they can get over on someone. Some synical skeptical stereotyping shit wasn't it? Too bad it is correct 98.9999999999999999999% of the time isn't it? Just say yes & yes............