1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

complimentary dealership washes suck!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by tuckdaddy, Jun 5, 2012.

?

do dealership carwashes leave your truck dirtier than when you dropped it off?

1. YES....

45.5%
  2. NO!!

31.5%
  3. CARWASH what is this?!?!?!

23.0%
  1. Jul 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    tuckdaddy

tuckdaddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    dirt displacement is an excellent way of describing that carwash. we've bought 3 cars through them too. the maintenence guys take care of me but they pull some stupid shit sometimes... espically the wash center.. i just about watched them t-bone a camery in the parking lot pulling it up for me... but i usually walk away with all my parts for free so im usually a happy camper!:D

i also only use adams polishes on my paint and clean microfibers.

2. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB
    I don't mind a free wash, however, it's when they use a dirty greasy rag to wipe down the inside window, watch them wash the wheels with a rag and then wipe down the hood with the same rag and things like this that make me say fk that sht.

And for the guys saying 'what do you expect, it's free' well, I expect anyone who get's paid for a job to do the fking job right. I don't give a crap if it's min wage, they are still getting paid. I work hard and give it my all in anything I do. There's no excuse for wiping down the inside windshield with a dirty rag, that's just careless and no pride in your work. It's part of the jaded self entitled point of view that's permeating the newer generations...

3. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    cobra kai

cobra kai New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCLB Trd Sport
    I just detailed my truck, took it in for the 5k service, told them not to wash it, and they washed it. A glossy perfectly clean truck came back with water spots all over the body, windows, door jams. They didn't even put the antenna back on the truck. I was beyond pissed. Next time I will be very clear that they will be paying for the detail if it happens again. The sad thing is that if he was lazy he would have been relieved to do less work, this just means he's a dumb ass.

4. Jul 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    TRD12

TRD12 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6M V6
    Tow package, front skid plate, bed extender, weathertech licence plate frames, weathertech interior mats
    Anyone ever consider making a sign to put on the dash or slip under the wiper saying "DO NOT WASH"? I have yet to take my truck to the dealer for service but intend to print up a few of these and post them everywhere to make it idiot-proof.

5. Jul 17, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    subwayaz

subwayaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson,Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Accesscab; TRD
    Super Charger, Catback Exhaust,Side Wind Shades, & Carbon Fiber Dash Kit
    Ah I guess we should be grateful for at least getting it rinsed off. Less that we'll have to do later and most of us would detail our vehicle later anyway

6. Jan 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
    exactly

7. Jan 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    Right after i signed the papers and went to drive away in my new 2013 A/C 4x4, i find that they've taken it to "quickly get washed, and it and fill it up for me". Half an hour later and countless "want a coffee or water?" from the salesman; i finally get to sign the owners acceptance cert. and get the hell out of there. I look at it and... ITS SCRATCHED TO SHIT. Whatever minimal wage dumb fuck washed it must of had rocks in his rag/brush. Got them to pay for a full detail... at another detail shop :p . im just glad they where able to buff them out. ill never let the dealer touch my truck again.

8. Jan 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    I dropped my truck off filthy... it came back cleaner than before. but not much

9. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Never taken a vehicle to a dealership because I do all the work myself. I have been through a car wash before in my friend's white Civic- it came out dirtier than it was before we entered. Soap scum all over the car, and all the dirt was still on it. I could rub the dirt off with my finger, so that tells you how crappy the wash was.
    I'll just wash my cars myself.

10. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    I think it varies from place to place! I worked at a dealership and yeah the carwash was basically a shitty thing to say they had and make the car wet..... didn't really actually clean anything and did damage paint from time to time.

11. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    DikDikerson

DikDikerson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport

When you're driving around in the salt, slush, and snow any kind of hose down is a good thing.

12. Jan 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    I have never been to my dealer to have work done (like a local place better), but I wont let anyone but me wash my truck....speaking of which, I need to do that....

I usually will run through touch free car washes, and hand wash it only when I have the time to wax etc...

correct me if I am wrong, but dont some dealers have a touch free car wash thing in the center?

13. Feb 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Most of the overpriced stuff we buy nowadays isn't worth a shit so how can anyone expect anything for free to anywhere near being worth a shit. Free shit at a dealership should be a big flashing warning signal to pass on, no matter what it is because the only thing free will be the fucking you and your vehicle get. The only thing people take pride in anymore is how much they can get over on someone. Some synical skeptical stereotyping shit wasn't it? Too bad it is correct 98.9999999999999999999% of the time isn't it? Just say yes & yes............

14. Feb 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    Nunavut

Nunavut Eh oh, Canada go.

Member:
    Canada
    The dealership I go too always does a fantastic job cleaning the exterior and interior of my truck.

15. Feb 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    That falls into the 1.111111111111111%. Congrats

16. Feb 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    The wash does suck but at least it gets washed. I have lifetime washes from the dealership I bought the truck from.

17. Feb 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    RDtres

RDtres Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DC LB
    My dealership offers to wash my truck but I always say no thanks. I prefer to wash my own vehicles, that way I know its done right and if I scratch it or more commonly swirl the paint, its on me. I used to go to the local Octapus car was and then I noticed the paint swirl and tint scratchs on my windows. Lesson learned as its not worth the risk, IMO.

18. Feb 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    TRD12

TRD12 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6M V6
    Tow package, front skid plate, bed extender, weathertech licence plate frames, weathertech interior mats
    Found these on a UK detailing website. I used the .doc one on my last trip to the dealership for inspection and they didn't dare defile my truck. Just slipped the fullsheet one under my wiper blade and put the fold-one on the center console inside.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/08ZzAj0JJ/DONOTWASH[1].docx.html

Also had these signs from Adams car care. Fullsize versions on the links.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/EARmv5U7Gf/dont_wash_truck_1a.jpg.html
    http://www.fileswap.com/dl/MxipqANEI/dont_wash_truck_2a.jpg.html
    http://www.fileswap.com/dl/fj51RUdqrs/dont_wash_car_1a.jpg.html
    http://www.fileswap.com/dl/ppvTS0raGb/dont_wash_car_2a.jpg.html
    http://www.fileswap.com/dl/UGFZS6KIwx/no-car-washing-sign.bmp.html

19. Feb 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I just hate when the dealership say's complimentary dealership wash and they don't even do it :S.

20. Feb 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I would compliment them for NOT washing mine.........I consider the dealership a place that I will only let them have my truck when I'm getting rid of it to get a new one.

Products Discussed in

To Top