Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

complimentary dealership washes suck!

View Poll Results: do dealership carwashes leave your truck dirtier than when you dropped it off?
YES.... 117 45.88%
NO!! 80 31.37%
CARWASH what is this?!?!?! 58 22.75%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #82
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Makes you wonder why they opened the sunroof to begin with... unless it was in for sunroof-related problems.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #83
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
After about a year of having the urd intake and not being able to go through a touch free wash, and always having to tell the dealership not to wash the truck whenever I would go in for tsb/recall/flushes, im happy to let them wash it.

The urd sounded great, but damnit u had to babysit the thing.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #84
shredgar1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Edgar
shredgar1's Tacoma Gallery
letting the dealership wash your truck is as bad as letting the dealership wash your truck.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #85
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
this is why I always tell the service rep to not wash my truck after servicing the truck. and no damn service reminder sticker on the windshield
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #86
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
As a detailer at a auto body shop it kinda bums me out we have such a bad reputation haha. We do a complimentary detail with a vacuum/interior clean and the outside after the car is painted and re-assembled.

Personally I treat every car I work on like it's my own but we have had so many dip shits work in detail at my shop I cringe when I check over cars they "cleaned". Detailing is just a summer job and part time while I go to university but lot's of the guy's I work with want to go into auto body and they work so half assed I have no idea how they hope to get an apprenticeship. I mean if you can't be trusted to properly clean a car how could you be trusted to actually repair the thing.

One that got fired today was because he used an old brush (instead of a mitt) on a brand new black Tacoma that the owner wanted a very very small scratch fixed on the hood. When he washed the truck it was raining and cloudy so the damage the brush did was hidden but the sun came out and it was obvious that the truck needed to be polished from bumper to bumper. The best part is that the owner was there but left and gave the other guy a $20 tip for cleaning his truck right before he ruined the paint..... I ended up doing all the polishing to fix his mistake while he got fired. Thankfully I had time to make sure all the scratches were gone and all the polish taken off the truck before the customer returned.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #88
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
Might as well pay some highschool kids to wash it.

better yet go to one of the hooters car washes....
Old 09-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #89
DavisBladeWorks is on a distinguished road
Name: John
DavisBladeWorks's Tacoma Gallery
When I picked up my new truck 2 days ago the dealership literally told me that I HAD to get the complimentary "detail." I kindly explained to them that I would rather not have them install custom swirl marks into my paint, and they yet again said I had no choice.

At that point I told them to kindly fuck off, because I've signed the paperwork and I'm in possession of the keys. I didn't even let them put fuel in it for fear that they'd take it around back.

I can't fucking stand that. Why on earth would you tell a customer that it's mandatory??
Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #90
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
the complimentary wash didn't leave my truck dirtier
but, it did leave my passenger window all scratched up
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #91
A7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
A7xschecter6661's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer I bought my tacoma from said they will wash it any time I drive by, I am too picky so it will never happen.

Now go back to the Ford dealer my mom worked at. The car wash guy there would pull it in and act like he was detailing the damn thing. Oil change customers basically got a detailed car lol. And if they sold a car, it was because he washed it
Old 09-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #92
Tiberius is on a distinguished road
Tiberius's Tacoma Gallery
Took the wife's Rav4 in the other day for 60,000 service to Autonation Toyota Arapahoe. I saw a guy parking wet cars out in the sun, and, surprise, her car had spots all over it. Dirtier looking than when we dropped it off.

No more washes for my Tacoma (had 1 service and wash, truck looked pretty good, was dried, with few or no swirls).
Old 09-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #93
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
each dealer is different i went to toyota of dallas (trdparts4u) and they did the spiral cable recall then detailed my truck inside and out with tire shine and shampooed my seats all for free
Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #94
TJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTJGARZA84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: TIM
TJGARZA84's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I had pics to share - but I took my truck to get washed at the dealership and it came back with a broken drivers side mirror.

I asked what happened and they get repeating "that has never happened before,but its ok since we ordered another one"

They ended up fixing it a week later and gave me a few complimentary oil changes and washed and waxed the truck for me - it worked out in my favor but they dont really care until they really fuck up.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #95
GWinstead is on a distinguished road
Army:
GWinstead's Tacoma Gallery
I always tell them no thanks. Unlike me, the dealership has never spent time on this detailing forum.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #96
Mr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Mr. Sparkle's Tacoma Gallery
I do a lot of new car prep and you wouldn't believe the condition I find 'new' cars after being maintained by the dealership guys.

Just say NO to dealership washes (or wax jobs for that matter - unless you like wax all over your trim and in the emblems)
Old 12-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #97
BDSKJChris is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
BDSKJChris's Tacoma Gallery
the best way I've found to avoid dealership complimentary washes is to print a sign up that says "PLEASE DO NOT WASH" in big bold letters and tape it to the steering wheel or dashboard. that way if the service writer forgets to tell the tech not to wash it you are still covered.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #98
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDSKJChris View Post
the best way I've found to avoid dealership complimentary washes is to print a sign up that says "PLEASE DO NOT WASH" in big bold letters and tape it to the steering wheel or dashboard. that way if the service writer forgets to tell the tech not to wash it you are still covered.
Sounds like a great idea but I bet it isn't foolproof at a dealership, lol..................
Old 12-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #99
BDSKJChris is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
BDSKJChris's Tacoma Gallery
sadly it probably isnt...but i no for sure simply telling a dealer "don't wash my vehicle" doesn't work...i should just show up with a quote from a body shop to repair all the scratches the POS automatic bay has put on my jeep (dont have the taco yet), and watch them shit a brick.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #100
Beers is on a distinguished road
Beers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
Took the wife's Rav4 in the other day for 60,000 service to Autonation Toyota Arapahoe. I saw a guy parking wet cars out in the sun, and, surprise, her car had spots all over it. Dirtier looking than when we dropped it off.

No more washes for my Tacoma (had 1 service and wash, truck looked pretty good, was dried, with few or no swirls).
These guys "washed" my clean truck for me that was spotless when I took it in. I got it back with water all over it and starting to spot.

Another day their shuttle van drove me back past the area where they washes are done. I saw a guy use a wash mitt on the rear wheel, across the lower part of a truck, across the steps and then on the front wheel.

And then there is the complimentary windshield repair guys that crawl all over the truck, putting hand and fingerprints all over the inside and outside of the windshield.

Needless to say I make sure they are clear the are not to wash my truck if I have to take it in.