1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

complimentary dealership washes suck!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by tuckdaddy, Jun 5, 2012.

?

do dealership carwashes leave your truck dirtier than when you dropped it off?

1. YES....

45.5%
  2. NO!!

31.5%
  3. CARWASH what is this?!?!?!

23.0%
  1. Sep 24, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    the complimentary wash didn't leave my truck dirtier
    but, it did leave my passenger window all scratched up

2. Sep 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    The dealer I bought my tacoma from said they will wash it any time I drive by, I am too picky so it will never happen.

Now go back to the Ford dealer my mom worked at. The car wash guy there would pull it in and act like he was detailing the damn thing. Oil change customers basically got a detailed car lol. And if they sold a car, it was because he washed it :D

3. Sep 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Tiberius

Tiberius Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    Nautical Blue v6 SR5 4x4 Access Cab
    Took the wife's Rav4 in the other day for 60,000 service to Autonation Toyota Arapahoe. I saw a guy parking wet cars out in the sun, and, surprise, her car had spots all over it. Dirtier looking than when we dropped it off.

No more washes for my Tacoma (had 1 service and wash, truck looked pretty good, was dried, with few or no swirls).

4. Sep 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    each dealer is different i went to toyota of dallas (trdparts4u) and they did the spiral cable recall then detailed my truck inside and out with tire shine and shampooed my seats all for free :D

5. Sep 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    TJGARZA84

TJGARZA84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    SAN ANTONIO
    Vehicle:
    2012 TOYOTA TACOMA PRERUNNER SR5 - BLACK
    TINT - 20% FRONT - 5% REAR 3 INCH LIFT PAINT TO MATCH GRILL AND REAR BUMPER REMOVED ALL EMBLEMS
    I wish I had pics to share - but I took my truck to get washed at the dealership and it came back with a broken drivers side mirror.

I asked what happened and they get repeating "that has never happened before,but its ok since we ordered another one"

They ended up fixing it a week later and gave me a few complimentary oil changes and washed and waxed the truck for me - it worked out in my favor but they dont really care until they really fuck up.

6. Oct 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    GWinstead

GWinstead Well-Known Member

Member:
    I always tell them no thanks. Unlike me, the dealership has never spent time on this detailing forum.

7. Nov 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 TRD Sport
    Leer Cap Subfloor, water pump, marine battery, 45 gal water tank & plumbing to wash cars anywhere
    I do a lot of new car prep and you wouldn't believe the condition I find 'new' cars after being maintained by the dealership guys.

Just say NO to dealership washes (or wax jobs for that matter - unless you like wax all over your trim and in the emblems)

8. Dec 10, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    BDSKJChris

BDSKJChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD OR DCSB
    the best way I've found to avoid dealership complimentary washes is to print a sign up that says "PLEASE DO NOT WASH" in big bold letters and tape it to the steering wheel or dashboard. that way if the service writer forgets to tell the tech not to wash it you are still covered.

9. Dec 10, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Sounds like a great idea but I bet it isn't foolproof at a dealership, lol..................

10. Dec 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    BDSKJChris

BDSKJChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand TRD OR DCSB
    sadly it probably isnt...but i no for sure simply telling a dealer "don't wash my vehicle" doesn't work...i should just show up with a quote from a body shop to repair all the scratches the POS automatic bay has put on my jeep (dont have the taco yet), and watch them shit a brick.

11. Dec 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    These guys "washed" my clean truck for me that was spotless when I took it in. I got it back with water all over it and starting to spot.

Another day their shuttle van drove me back past the area where they washes are done. I saw a guy use a wash mitt on the rear wheel, across the lower part of a truck, across the steps and then on the front wheel.

And then there is the complimentary windshield repair guys that crawl all over the truck, putting hand and fingerprints all over the inside and outside of the windshield. :mad:

Needless to say I make sure they are clear the are not to wash my truck if I have to take it in.

12. Dec 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    rileySB

rileySB RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    5100/887, Dakars, 285s, Built Right UCAs, Icon rears
    Yeah, I washed mine before I brought it in. When I got it back, it was covered in water, like it had rained- except it hadn't rained in about a week. I thought to myself- really? This is what you call a wash? Spraying it with water and NOT even drying it off? Truly dumb. I really hate the dealership and guess I will have to specifically write down "don't wash my truck!". Thanks for the shitty complimentary service (apparently it's just an oil change, fucking up your PSI numbers and rotating your wheels)- I'll do it myself from now on and maybe just take it in for the 25K service and be done with them.

13. Jan 21, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    El Tano

El Tano i am the one who knocks

Member:
    Pasadena. CA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD sport
    Corvette homelink FRONT: 5100 Blinstein set at 0 Procomp 3" leveling kit Allpro UCA’s. REAR: Icon Multi Rate RXT Leaf Pack 5100 Blinstein. 17x9 kMC wheels 0 BS 285/70 17 Wildpeak A/T4W C range Amp research steps. and a bunch of TSB's
    I just did this, last week, the truck was complety detailed and cleaned. 2 hrs later the truck is ready, and some asshole used the wash and the wipers and left it under the sun.
    They are fuaking retards.

I haTe dealerships so bad. I take it to fix stuff under warranty and since I'm there i do the oil change. I give them a just detailed truck so they can see i care for my truck. But they don't fucking care. :mad: now i need to go back "again", radio was replaced and they left something inside the dash that rolls every time i turn left or right.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  14. Jan 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    GWinstead

GWinstead Well-Known Member

Member:
    I own a truck, not a concourse show piece. My dealer does a good job of it. I frequently use one of those spray do it yourself washes, or a drive thru. In the winter when it's covered with snow, I use a broom to clear it off. Again, it's a truck.

Not to say I don't have plenty of respect for you guys that take excellent care of your tacomas.

15. Feb 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    basinrunner

basinrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner and 83 pickup
    265/70/17 duratracs and method standards
    I used to work at Chevrolet, I was the only porter who cared about not messing up a customers car, I had to convince them to buy a new mitt and chamois that I kept desperate for dark cars. But our detailer could care less, he washed a brand new zl1 with a wash brush... it was dark blue, instant ruin.... so yes. Dealership washed suck.

16. Feb 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish

That was appreciated by many I am sure........ Good yob looking out for other peoples investments

17. Feb 19, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    My last post saying I wouldn't let them wash my truck isn't too far up. Went in for first oil change today and I let them wash it because it was dirty. And I must say the truck looked more Green than it ever has and that's while it was raining out. And if you know Spruce mica you will know it needs sun/light to look green!

They must use something decent

That being said, the rain water probably covered all the swirl marks and shit they put in it from using a dirty wash mitt or crappy brush :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top