LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

complimentary dealership washes suck!

View Poll Results: do dealership carwashes leave your truck dirtier than when you dropped it off?
YES.... 117 45.88%
NO!! 80 31.37%
CARWASH what is this?!?!?! 58 22.75%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
4x4=fun
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Name: Tucker
tuckdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
complimentary dealership washes suck!

for those of you who have work done at dealerships get your truck back dirtier than you left it? i dropped mine absolutley spotless and detailed and got it back "washed" complete with mineral marks on the paint/windows and dirt/dust allover.. thought id start a poll and see what the stats are!

I take mine to Toyota of Boerne, i love the work they do but they really should stay away form detailing and washing cars/trucks.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
yippee ki yay mother cluckers
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
Might as well pay some highschool kids to wash it.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
Might as well pay some highschool kids to wash it.
He did
Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
4x4=fun
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
He did
Sadly..
Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
yippee ki yay mother cluckers
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
My favorite is when you see them throwing the gloves at each other, and once they hit the ground they pick them up and wash your vehicle with it.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer has an automatic carwash built into the end of the oil change line. I specifically tell them "do not wash" every time I'm there.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
4x4=fun

every damn time! Ipreferwater
Old 06-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
lol what do you expect? it's a "free" car wash...
Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
ehh, I've been at school, so my truck has just had a layer of dirt on it, anything that gets this layer off, is a luxury ha. But now that summer has rolled around I can raise my standards haha
Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
lol what do you expect? it's a "free" car wash...
This- I have only ever seen one dealer have a good car wash guy, then he retired...literally
Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #12
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
If I just washed it before taking it in then yes, I get it back more dirty than when I handed over the keys, but if it hasnt been washed in awhile, then I comes back cleaner. Although not the type of "clean" I would prefer, but its still better than before usually.

Biggest problems are water spots or water that hasnt even yet dried, streaks on glass, and always atleast 1 spot that didnt get touched with the sponge so now it has a dirty mark... all of which are MAJOR pet peeves. But I might just have too high of standards for my truck. I usually wash it myself every 1-2 weeks, and each wash takes me minimum 3 hours from start to finish. More like 4-5 if I am in no hurry at all. But then again I detail the shit out of it! I literally take interior panels apart to get all the dirt in the cracks, sometimes unbolt the seats to vacuum underneath around the amps, do windows inside and out, armor all tires and detail rims, shine on all black plastic even mirror shrouds and antenna and flood lights... its excessive and not noticable to the average person, but I can tell. My washes make it look like day 1 off the lot

Ill even clean the wheel wells and shine suspension, clean undercarage usually, and the roof as well. Call me crazy but its ok. So going back to the question.... dealer doesnt touch my truck if i washed it within the past couple days.

BUT, on the other hand, I do a bunch of right before dealer trips just to make the wash worth it Gotta love watching the dealer put in work for free. And they still usually do an exceptional job with it
Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
On one of the dealerships's 4 attempts at stopping an oil leak on the 05 they thought was timing cover but turned out to be head gasket, they obviously sprayed water on the truck after it had been sitting out in the sun long enough to make a small chip repair near very bottom of windshield that had been fine for over a year and not gotten any worse, travel all the way up the windshield. Of course they had nothing but lame denial even though the truck was still wet when they brought it out. Let them know how much I appreciated their lame bullshit in the service area where the other 50 people in there could take note. Another reason that truck got traded for the 08 (at a different dealership). Dealership car washes are equal or worse than the guy on the corner with his bucket of bath water & squigee wanting to "clean" your windshield.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #14
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
If I just washed it before taking it in then yes, I get it back more dirty than when I handed over the keys, but if it hasnt been washed in awhile, then I comes back cleaner. Although not the type of "clean" I would prefer, but its still better than before usually.

Biggest problems are water spots or water that hasnt even yet dried, streaks on glass, and always atleast 1 spot that didnt get touched with the sponge so now it has a dirty mark... all of which are MAJOR pet peeves. But I might just have too high of standards for my truck. I usually wash it myself every 1-2 weeks, and each wash takes me minimum 3 hours from start to finish. More like 4-5 if I am in no hurry at all. But then again I detail the shit out of it! I literally take interior panels apart to get all the dirt in the cracks, sometimes unbolt the seats to vacuum underneath around the amps, do windows inside and out, armor all tires and detail rims, shine on all black plastic even mirror shrouds and antenna and flood lights... its excessive and not noticable to the average person, but I can tell. My washes make it look like day 1 off the lot

Ill even clean the wheel wells and shine suspension, clean undercarage usually, and the roof as well. Call me crazy but its ok. So going back to the question.... dealer doesnt touch my truck if i washed it within the past couple days.

BUT, on the other hand, I do a bunch of right before dealer trips just to make the wash worth it Gotta love watching the dealer put in work for free. And they still usually do an exceptional job with it
Did you pull the center console cupholder and get in there? Check it out..............and I don't think the dealer cleaning a muddy truck would be anything but swirls and scratches in the paint tho I do appreciate the comedic value of going mudding just in time for the free oil change and asking them to make sure to give it a wash.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #15
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Did you pull the center console cupholder and get in there? Check it out..............and I don't think the dealer cleaning a muddy truck would be anything but swirls and scratches in the paint tho I do appreciate the comedic value of going mudding just in time for the free oil change and asking them to make sure to give it a wash.
I pull the foreword cup holder, prndl bezel with cup holder and the other prndl lower bezel under that. I also pull the lower door sill/rocker panels and sometimes kick panels. and i was just kidding about the mudding before a dealer trip, I actually try to take it in as close to clean as possible just because the cleaner it is, the easier it is to get warranty work done when they see that you take care of the truck. Less likely to approve a borderline warranty issue if the truck looks beat.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #16
Thin Blue Line

My dealer offers free washes ANYTIME though, not just after work has been done. I can pull in any time and ask for a was with no problems, however I dont because the dealer I prefer to go to is about 25miles from my house, and given how anal I am about my washes, they wouldnt do it right anyways. Not worth the time nor the gas, but thought it might be an something you guys can try. Not all dealers do it, and usually only if you bought from them (and the free wash anytime coupon is in all the mailers too)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #17
4x4=fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post

i do this about every week and really get it just off the lot clean wheel ells and eeverything. i think the mud as mentioned above would just wreck your paint espically with a lack of attention to the car wash! the look on my dealers face though when i bring in a mud coated truck is pretty comical though. but this past time i had just spreyed it off to get the tree sap and dust off and cleaned the interior and didnt detail it thankfully.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #18
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I never have the dealerships do any of my car washes. One time I forgot to tell them and after an oil change, it came out washed. I freaked out!!!

So now I have it on my record to never wash the car AT ALL.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #19
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
1 quick look at the pedal and a nice brake stand assure me they did not fuck up my truck

You can still do brake stands after they do it.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_...rticle_id=2390
Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #20
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
u guys are wayyyyy too picky lol

its a truck! but i guess im far from clean on my truck, you guys by the sounds of it wouldnt even drive your trucks here :P