Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Lowering nerf bars

Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #21
Jeremy.Sullivan is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Jeremy
Jeremy.Sullivan's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem and am glad I am not alone. If I could lower them maybe 2 inches or so I think it would make a world of difference. I will post if I have any luck and will keep looking for suggestions.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
JavaJoe1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
JavaJoe1's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd I am thinking of spacing mine out. Will update when I attempt.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaSandman View Post
(snip) Due to the height of my running boards my children nor my wife are able to use them at all. (snip)
I had the exact same problem, except the steps were too high for me as well.

First considered spacers between the truck and mounts, but decided that wouldn't work since it would also move the steps inward, under the truck, by an almost equal amount - the mounting locations are angled slightly inwards towards the center of the truck.

Next checked into the possibility of lowering the steps by cutting the steel mounting brackets and adding a 2" extension. A local welding shop quoted a price of roughly $350 to modify (cut, weld, grind, sand & paint) the six brackets - $50 labor for each bracket, plus $50 for materials. Cheaper to just purchase new, lower, steps and sell the existing ones.

My new steps are sitting in the garage, which I'll install within the next day or so.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #25
2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2chains's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait for pics, i haven't found any aftermarket steps that sit much lower than the door sill...
Old 01-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
You do realize this thread was 3 years old right? With that said I am interested if anyone has found a mod for this also.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #27
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
with some pictures of the mounting brackets i might could cut something out at school at our shop. best equipped community college east of i 95
Old 01-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #28
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
On autoanything.com I saw a few options that hang much lower. I'm actually debating the spring loaded steps that fold away when you arent standing on them.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chains View Post
Can't wait for pics, i haven't found any aftermarket steps that sit much lower than the door sill...
Nothing special. Ended up with the Smittybilt/N-Fab T0678CC black steps (seen in many images thoughout this forum), purchased at Amazon.com for $330. When I finally get around to installing them (seemingly endless delays), will let you know if they're a substantial improvement in this regard.

-
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
You do realize this thread was 3 years old right? (snip)
Yes, but this thread exists (similar problem), so no need to start a new one. Besides, the OP may still be sitting there at his computer, waiting patiently for replies. In other words, we have to finally get this solved, before the man is completely covered with cobwebs.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
with some pictures of the mounting brackets i might could cut something out at school at our shop. best equipped community college east of i 95
The arms, made of u-shaped steel bar stock, were bent into a curve, with flat stock welded at angles on each end to fit the vehicle and bars. Without the original brackets in hand, it would be extremely difficult to duplicate the various curves and angles. In fact, would not be easy even with the brackets available to compare. The welding shop quickly dismissed that idea, opting instead for extensions welded to the existing brackets (my original idea).
Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #32
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
The arms, made of u-shaped steel bar stock, were bent into a curve, with flat stock welded at angles on each end to fit the vehicle and bars. Without the original brackets in hand, it would be extremely difficult to duplicate the various curves and angles. In fact, would not be easy even with the brackets available to compare. The welding shop quickly dismissed that idea, opting instead for extensions welded to the existing brackets (my original idea).
just trying to help but id need some pictures and dimensions though
Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #33
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here are mine.

Notice the 2nd pic (front bracket) is shaped different than the middle and rear brackets.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #34

I'm thinking that lowering them wouldn't look right unless on a lifted truck.

On a different note, I'm thinking of painting mine with bed liner material to black them out unless someone on here has black ones they want to trade for chrome.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Nothing special. Ended up with the Smittybilt/N-Fab T0678CC black steps (seen in many images thoughout this forum), purchased at Amazon.com for $330. When I finally get around to installing them (seemingly endless delays), will let you know if they're a substantial improvement in this regard.
Okay, carefully measured the OEM steps before removal and the new steps after installation. The N-Fab steps (mentioned above) sit approximately 14-inches above the ground, roughly 4 1/4 inches lower than the OEM side steps.

The main bar of the N-Fab steps also doesn't extend out nearly as far (easier to step over), with the actual foot steps protruding out approximately 2-inches less than the OEM steps (more or less parallel with the mud flaps).

Hope someone finds this information useful.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #36
2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed2chains is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2chains's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the update, i like the look of those n-fab steps!! i think they give the illusion of a taller truck too. the thing i do like about the factory ones is they stick out from the body of the truck, extra protection from door swings and rocks/mud. Guess i can't have it both ways!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #37

Not quite used to the new steps (best foot placement, etc), but it's clearly easier to get up and into the seat. The climb onto the lower step is less of a challenge and there's far less of a drop into the seat afterwards.

Getting out is easier as well. Since the main bar is almost flush with the truck, it can simply be stepped over. However, the lower step is positioned almost perfect to just step right out.

Not quite as flashy as the OEM steps, but certainly more functional. However, I do agree they don't provide nearly as much protection against the dings from the swinging doors of adjacent vehicles. Wonder how much it would cost to hire a big ass security guard for my new truck.