Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Lowering nerf bars

Old 12-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
YotaSandman will become famous soon enough
Marines: Combat Engineer, 3rd CEB
YotaSandman's Tacoma Gallery
Lowering nerf bars

New guy with a question about lowering the nerf bars on my new prerunner. I've looked through several pages and can't find a thread on this subject. Due to the height of my running boards my children nor my wife are able to use them at all. I would like to lower them a bit but can't seem to find a mounting bracket. Any one out there have this same problem? And how did you fix it? I could bend some steel but if there is something in production I would prefer to go that route. Thanks, for listening.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
People actually use those things? I thought they were just for looks..
Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
For me at 6'2" no problem but you can imagine at 3 foot nothin.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
factory nerf bars or what type?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
People actually use those things? I thought they were just for looks..
I have them and they are great for getting dirt on my pants. Or I can use it and hit my head getting in.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Yes, factory bars. I know they are for looks as everyone says but if you lower them, they have to be somewhat functional besides getting mud all over my legs.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
some pictures of the mounting might be helpful
Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
I just looked at them, each side is held by two bolts in three places. Maybe you can have some spacers made at a machine shop and get longer bolts. I don't know if the spacers might put more pressure on the bolts ect. So it might be easier to sell yours and buy ones that fit your needs.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
They are attached with simple S bracket. It seems like someone would make an after market bracket that has a longer distance between the two mounting surfaces. Am I crazy or does that make since?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #11

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
They must be dif. than mine.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
sounds like you'll have to fab something yourself. extending them could put more torque on them and make it bend easier so whatever is fabbed should be very sturdy. some pics might help but i agree with others about the n-fab step bars - they are on my list. they appear the most functional to me
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Mr. Ed, thanks for your persistence. I appreciate you and everyones help.

Unless I'm mistaking. It looked as though the bracket attached to the undercarriage and then went straight down and then extended under the running board in an S manner. How is yours attached?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #14
Tacoma Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaSandman View Post
Mr. Ed, thanks for your persistence. I appreciate you and everyones help.

Unless I'm mistaking. It looked as though the bracket attached to the undercarriage and then went straight down and then extended under the running board in an S manner. How is yours attached?
could you cut those brackets in half and add an extension? i'd make it overly beefy
Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by moserjjx View Post
could you cut those brackets in half and add an extension? i'd make it overly beefy
Something like cut the bottom off of the bracket and attache a beefed up L to mount the running board?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
Would you bolt the attachment or weld?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
Tacoma Newbie
well its hard to say how i would do since i'm only imagining what these brackets look like but i was thinking of cutting the "drop" part and adding an extension there. sorry i can't be more specific - pic would help. as far as bolting or welding, depends if its aluminum (bolt) or steel (weld). you could bolt either way if it worked and you don't have a welder (like me...)
Old 12-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
Lazy, Good For Nothin'
jmcwms is on a distinguished road

Name: James
jmcwms's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed...

nerfs useless!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
Point well taken. I will get some pics for added support.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
Tacoma Newbie
then again, if you hack the stock brackets you can't put it back "the way it was". maybe remove a bracket and find a local fab shop to make something similar but longer. doesn't sound that complicated