1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Color Matched Door handle covers/mirrors

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by LBCJ44, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Jul 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    LBCJ44

LBCJ44 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4WD Double Cab
    6in. body lift, 3in. Pro Comp suspension lift 35 tires, Moto Metal Chrome Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit, Leather Seats, 10 Sub
    I was thinking about buying some chrome door handle covers and mirrors from ebay and painting them super white with some dupli color spray paint. Before I did that i was wondering if anyody else has done this? I have a concern about what the door handle covers will actually cover. Thanks for any info!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jul 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Not a bad idea, but I think that those cheap plastic covers won't hold up very well. You'll be painting over that chrome crap and won't last very long. The color matched handles you can get fairly cheap. The mirrors though, those are costly.

3. Jul 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you're really anal about the color being exact, don't bother trying to match the Superwhite out of a rattle can, especially using Duplicolor. If you can tolerate a small amount of variation (keep in mind the handles are smack in the middle of the doors and surrounded by factory paint), then I'd use a place like paintscratch.com or spraycansunlimited.com. Duplicolor isn't really close and has quite a bit of yellow tint to it after you apply the clear coat.

If you take your time with the prep work, the painted chrome pieces will hold up just fine. You'll need to sand, clean, then either flexible primer or adhesion promotor, paint then the clear coat.

Personally, I was not happy with the results I got from using a rattle can to match the superwhite color. I used Duplicolor and Paintscratch.com, they even warrantied my first batch and sent me another. It was close, but I could still tell the difference. Others have used the same paint and been happy with the results. I scrapped the DIY and bought a color matched grille and mirror covers. Handles will follow soon.

If you want color matched parts, check out Camelback Toyota or TRDParts4U.com.

4. Aug 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    I've got a set I will sell you...in process of taking them off my truck now...I def think painting them any color could work. They are pretty hard plastic and honestly look pretty good chrome IMO...but I've got all black stuff on the way so if you want a good deal on the whole door handle and rear view mirror kit let me pm me and we can work something out

Products Discussed in

To Top