Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Using simple green to clean an engine

Old 07-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Using simple green to clean an engine

I've read this is the best/easiest way to clean my engine. It's covered in water spots and sand and just general garbage from years of trail riding and being driven. I dont need it to look like it just came off the showroom floor, but I do want to get my engine atleast looking decent.

So, cool engine, engine off, spray on simple green (do you dilute it? I've read some do it either way), let sit for a moment, and then spray off. That's all there is too it?

Old 07-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
boatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shedboatswain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: boat coxswain,USS SIMON LAKE AS-33
Name: carl
boatswain's Tacoma Gallery
cool, engine off, and spray on is basic.
I don't use simple green, although it may be better than what I've been using for years.
I've kept my engine compartments clean for "MANY" years using- GUNK ENGINE BRITE origional HD engine degreaser. (not the foam).
Let it sit a little, and rinse down. If very dirty, may have to do more than once.
just giving another option!
there are a lot of products out there that cut grease and grime, but this product seems to work well enough.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
No!

Google simple green aluminum.

Even their FAQ recommends against this, but they do make some other products that are OK for the purpose.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I have read about the Gunk before, but we don't sell it at work yet we have simple green, so I got what I could with my discount. lol. I had been told and read in several places that Simple Green was good for this.

I did the body a few mins ago but ran out of change/singles. Using the spray at the carwash on high is great on the leafs and frame area. Before hand my leafs would squeak for anything, even shutting a door, thats gone now. Tomorrow I'll do the engine, interior, and bed. Tuesday I plan on washing again and doing a wax+claybar, I've got a lot of new trail pinstripes, a coat of wax will help prevent that.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
No!

Google simple green aluminum.

Even their FAQ recommends against this, but they do make some other products that are OK for the purpose.
I've read that having it on for an extended period of time can cause a problem, however I a minute or so is supposedly safe?

Everything I read is so contradictory on this.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I've read that having it on for an extended period of time can cause a problem, however I a minute or so is supposedly safe?

Everything I read is so contradictory on this.
Just use it on a cold engine, use a diluted mixture... 50:50 or more diluted, and don't allow it to dry on the aluminum.

It won't DAMAGE the aluminum, it can cause cosmetic spotting, but scuba shops use it to clean aluminum and steel tanks to prepare them for use with oxygen blends from 40% to 100%.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
I use simple green to clean my truck and motorcycle. Spray them with the hose first then spray simple green on. Let it sit a couple minutes and rinse it off. I've never had an issue. Spray nine works great too
Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #10

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Just use it on a cold engine, use a diluted mixture... 50:50 or more diluted, and don't allow it to dry on the aluminum.

It won't DAMAGE the aluminum, it can cause cosmetic spotting, but scuba shops use it to clean aluminum and steel tanks to prepare them for use with oxygen blends from 40% to 100%.
That was my next question was how much to dilute it.

I figured spraying it down and immediately beginning to hose off in the order in which I sprayed the engine down would give it enough time to clean off, but not enough to cause any issues. Light pressure on the water?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
That was my next question was how much to dilute it.

I figured spraying it down and immediately beginning to hose off in the order in which I sprayed the engine down would give it enough time to clean off, but not enough to cause any issues. Light pressure on the water?
Pretty much.

Wet the engine down, spray, rinse. Might take a little scrubbing, you've got a lot of dirt that just a spray and rinse won't clear, but an afternoon you could have that back to showroom condition.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...query=Aluminum

(be sure to scroll down)

The difference between an engine and say, a scuba tank, is the engine has a gazillion little nooks and crannies. Anywhere you fail to rinse sufficiently well and leave a little behind will be subject to corrosion.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Looks just fine as long as it is diluted and rinsed well. Even with the nooks and crannies, rinsing a diluted solution with a hose is going to remove it.

And the Ph of the SG simply accelerates the normal corrosion process that would happen if you allowed plain water to remain on the surface.

Quote:
Anywhere you fail to rinse sufficiently well and leave a little behind will be subject to corrosion.
I'm talking about the inside of the tank... not the outside.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
BRONSON is on a distinguished road

BRONSON's Tacoma Gallery
Simple Green Pro HD (purple stuff available at Home Depot) is safe on aluminum. It's the exact same formula as their Boeing spec Extreme Aircraft cleaner, but with some added colorant.