1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waxing With Buffer For The First Time... Help

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by drubacca117, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Jul 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    So, I can finally wax my truck again after some paint work. She is washed, dry, and sitting in the shade. She doesn't need any clay, I checked. Just about ready to wax, but I am a complete noob at using buffers (I borrowed a deployed friends buffer). It is a random orbital Turtle Wax buffer. Should I hand apply my wax and use the buffer to remove it? It seems like applying the wax with the buffer would work it in more (I have Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax and Meguiars Cleaner Wax), but I want to be sure before I start. I tried searching for this, but none of the posts I read specifically addressed this (admittedly I didn't scour super hard). Thanks for any help you fine people can provide!

2. Jul 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    You need a wax pad for the buffer, usually black in color. I would apply wax by hand if you do not. However, you can use any color pad and lay a soft microfiber towel down on the paint and then put the buffer on the towel. Keep pressure on the buffer and move it slowly around. It will take the wax off. To be honest, the buffer really should be used to polish the paint. Wax just protects. The real shine comes from the polishing.

3. Jul 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Thanks for the reply! I am going to polish soon, but unfortunately I am playing single daddy to a toddler today, so I have to do this while he goes down for a nap... haha!

4. Jul 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    I would probably just skip the buffer, it will cause more harm then good. No need to really "work in wax" it's the polish that needs to be worked in with a buffer. Just hand wax it.

5. Jul 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Use micro fiber cloths to remove the dried wax; cotton terry cloth will scratch the living crap out of the paint. Did you know terry cloth fibers are more abrasive than steel wool?

6. Jul 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Unless you are using a porter cable, flex, or some other type of buffer, the turtle wax buffer isn't going to be much help.

7. Jul 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Ah yes, the old get stuff done during nap time. Been there many times. If you have the right pad then it is way easier. No pad, do it by hand. Just stay away from the black trim with that wax. Or tape it with painters tape.

Products Discussed in

To Top