Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Deep scratch on plastic cover over passenger airbag display

Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
BogusTime is on a distinguished road
BogusTime's Tacoma Gallery
Deep scratch on plastic cover over passenger airbag display

Greetings TW members. I have been following the forums since I got my tacoma a few months ago. I just noticed a deep scratch where my nail would get caught on the plastic cover where you would be able to see the digital clock and the passenger airbag notifications. I tried searching for something similar to what I have with not much luck. Has anyone had this problem before? If so, is there something I can do to repair it myself? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Deep scratch on plastic cover over passenger airbag display-img_20120728_175315.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If all else fails, try one of those liquid lens repair kits:
http://www.rkdm.com/liquidlense/
Old 07-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusTime View Post
Greetings TW members. I have been following the forums since I got my tacoma a few months ago. I just noticed a deep scratch where my nail would get caught on the plastic cover where you would be able to see the digital clock and the passenger airbag notifications. I tried searching for something similar to what I have with not much luck. Has anyone had this problem before? If so, is there something I can do to repair it myself? Thank you.
Get it replaced... No need for u to touch it. If you do then they may NOT fix it saying you played with it.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
I just went to the dealership and they told me that they would have to replace the entire center console since it came packaged as one unit. They estimated the cost being around 2k. Anyone know of detailing shops in San Diego that might help? Thank you.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer is lying to you. The lens is part of the clock/SRS display module which snaps out of the radio bezel. The module is just over $200.

The point of taking it to the dealer is trying to get them to cover it under warranty. If they absolutely refuse, try the liquid lense repair fluid.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Dealer is lying to you. The lens is part of the clock/SRS display module which snaps out of the radio bezel. The module is just over $200.

The point of taking it to the dealer is trying to get them to cover it under warranty. If they absolutely refuse, try the liquid lense repair fluid.
Any experience with that lens repair fluid by any chance? I also came across something called NOVUS. Have to look into it a bit more though. Thanks for all the help thus far guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I used the fluid to repair scratches in eyeglasses and CDs, both polycarbonate. Both came out great when viewed by the naked eye. Though the CDs still didn't play properly. Bought mine here a few years ago under a different brand name https://www.asseenontv.com/detail.ph...2ab757200aaa95.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I just went to the dealership and they told me that they would have to replace the entire center console since it came packaged as one unit. They estimated the cost being around 2k. Anyone know of detailing shops in San Diego that might help? Thank you.
Go to another dealer then
It's a new truck...
Unless you tried to take things apart and it was like that then it is under warr.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
I ended up calling the salesman that got me the car and he got the service department to buff out the scratch with no charges so everything is all good once again. Thanks for all the support guys, I appreciate it!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #10

Quote:
I ended up calling the salesman that got me the car and he got the service department to buff out the scratch with no charges so everything is all good once again. Thanks for all the support guys, I appreciate it!
That didn't hurt now did it.
Glad your all set.