1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Duplicolor color matched my grill, clear coat isnt shiny

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by evanmb31, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    So i just finished up color matching my satoshi grill last night, it was chrome now its magnetic gray. Everything looked like it was coming out great but my clearcoat looks pretty dull, not very shiny or deep at all, i also have some orange peel and its a little hazy. Im looking for some expert advice or some input from people who have colormatched before. So its been less than 24 hours since i finished the clear and i havnt polished yet so im sure it will shine more after i polish and maybe even wax, but it doesnt look like i am going to be able to even get it close to the factory. I knew it wouldnt be perfect when i decided to do it but i should be able to get it close. So heres what i did...

Scuffed chrome real good with 400 grit, cleaned with rubbing alcohol
    3 light coats of duplicolor adhesion promoter, let dry 10 mins
    2 medium coats gray sandable filler primer, let dry 6 hours
    Wetsanded with 400 then 800 grit, cleaned (this came out perfect and smooth)
    3 light coats duplicolor colormatch let dry 24 hours
    3 more light coats of duplicolor, let dry for 30 minutes
    3 light coats of clear at least ten minutes in between then one medium-heavy final coat

So my plan is to wet sand with 2000 grit tomorrow then clean and polish but i am skeptical and i might have to clear again.

My last spray paint job was on the inner lip of my satoshi grill, i used krylon fusion gloss black and krylon triple thick clear and the finish came out mint, nice and glossy and reflective with no polishing. I just wish i knew why my clear coat this time sucked haha, to light? To thick? Or am i just impatient and it will look nice when its fully cured and polished. Help me!!!
    -end novel

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pics bump

3. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Did your finish state what sort of gloss it would be? In spray clear coats at lowes we sell them in anything from flat to gloss. That looks like a satin to me.

IMHO, I think the way it came out is pretty badass.

4. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    thanks alot man! alot of work went into it. the clear i used was the duplicolor perfect match which was recomended by the website when i bought the color match spray paint, the can says its a high gloss finish. the pictures kinda hide how off it is. just cant decide if i need to wetsand and clear again or just polish to try to shine it up

5. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    na8rboy

na8rboy 18 DCLB Sport Cement

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    Heavier coat's of clear. You may wet sand it before you clear it again. Which will help clear lay smoother. Won't wet sand and buff for a few days.

6. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    you mean don't wet sand or buff for a few days? dammit i am impatient tho haha. I'm sure its good advice, im just sick of driving around with no grill. ive got my grill near a dehumidifier to help it cure quicker, but ill try to be patient and wait then wetsand and clear again. i want it to shine like the sun haha, thanks for the advice

7. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    Blackcat10

Blackcat10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    High humidity or moisture in the air will cause paint to be dull or blush. Wet sand in a few days and shoot it a little heavier paying attention to humidity.

8. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Have you tried polishing it? It does look like you have something going on with the application but you'll need to use some rubbing compound afterwards to really make it shine. You have to make sure the paint is good and cured before using the rubbing compound.

9. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    na8rboy

na8rboy 18 DCLB Sport Cement

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    Blackcat10 is right high humidity will fuzz paint out. Lightly wet sand with 800, then spray again with clear coat 3 med to heavy coat's. Don't run it... Then let dry up to a week wet sand and buff. You should be fine. Don't let clear flash to long between coat. spray a test pc. along with grill to check that it tacks-up not to wet/dry between coats.

Goodluck, hope works well for you

10. Jul 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    its always humid in the summer here in ct, so after spraying each time i brought the grill into my garage with a dehumidifier running, it said 70 % humidity inside but it was probably 85%+ outside when i sprayed it. could have definitley been a problem, ill hope for better weather in a few days after wetsanding

i havnt polished it yet but i plan to, kind of a newb when it comes to painting but i am a perfectionist so i wanna get it right

good advice, thanks, i think your right about letting the clear flash to long. I color match a FJ style TOYOTA badge also and only waited about 5-7 minutes between coats and it came out alot better, i probably waited twice as long between coats for the grill, and all light coats except the last one

11. Jul 31, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Thanks for the advice everyone, ill post pics of the finished product

Products Discussed in

To Top