1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waxing Your Shock Bodies?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Lil'Taco, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Aug 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Lil'Taco

Lil'Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Sport DCSB
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel, Coil Bucket Gussets, Spindle Gussets, LCA Cam Gussets, Glassworks 4" fenders, B.A.M.F. rock sliders with fill plates, Decked Drawer system, aFe CAI, Borla Cat-back exhaust, Blitzpro 21S LED light bar w/ B.A.M.F. behind the grill light bar mount, Red Label Off-road tube bumper, Redline hood struts, Grillcraft grill, Weather Tech floor mats, HID headlights and fog lights... It has more stuff done to it now.
    I just got some Fox shocks for my new LT kit, and I was reading the paperwork for them and they recommend waxing the shock bodies every so often? Is this really something I should be doing? How would you go upon doing this, removing the tire is a no brainer but it would be a pain in the ass to have to wax around the coils. Just wondering if anyone else does this.

2. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I'm OCD when it comes to keeping my truck clean, but that would be where I draw the line. I wouldn't waste my time on that. What's next waxing the axle??:confused:

3. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Frame too.

That'll be in the 3rd Gen owner's manual as a routine maintenance item, and if not done, they won't warranty rust issues :D

4. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I go to town with a can of wd40 or mineral oil once a year. I'm ocd like that. But I live in Florida and I think the salt from the beach is evil. I also boil my dish sponges, but my girl makes me do that. (She does have big boobs, sorry no pics)

5. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    I sprayed mine down with some fluid film.

6. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
  7. Aug 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I wouldn't bother waxing, but spritzing 'em with a lube every once in a while might help fight corrosion.

8. Aug 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    Lil'Taco

Lil'Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Sport DCSB
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel, Coil Bucket Gussets, Spindle Gussets, LCA Cam Gussets, Glassworks 4" fenders, B.A.M.F. rock sliders with fill plates, Decked Drawer system, aFe CAI, Borla Cat-back exhaust, Blitzpro 21S LED light bar w/ B.A.M.F. behind the grill light bar mount, Red Label Off-road tube bumper, Redline hood struts, Grillcraft grill, Weather Tech floor mats, HID headlights and fog lights... It has more stuff done to it now.
  9. Aug 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    I got the sample and sprayed it on, the dust collected there took water spray nozzle and sprayed it off then went to the dirt again and nothing really stuck the 2nd time but you can still tell there is some of it there... :notsure:

10. Aug 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    hmmm I just got my free sample a couple of weeks ago, might have to do that

Products Discussed in

To Top