Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Door sill wear? What to do about it?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Door sill wear? What to do about it?

Alright, you can see the wear... Ugly right.

What can i do about it? Has anyone covered it, or coated it with something to fix it? Anyone rhino-line it or something?

I'm trying to find something to make that look less hideous when i get in and out of my vehicle.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
You can buy sill protectors that stick on. My truck came with them and obviously from what is happening to yours they are worth it.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just replace it with either OEM or diamond plate aftermarket?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
Why not just replace it with either OEM or diamond plate aftermarket?
I'm talking about the fucked portion where my paint has magically dissapeared, not the plastic "sill" (its in the same area, so i just ballparked it on what to call it)
Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Clean it, sand it, prime it and paint it.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Yes that portion is considered part of the door sill and here is what I have on my truck to prevent or cover existing damage.

http://trdparts4u.com/Scripts/prodVi...dproduct=-6136
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Does your door shut properly?

Seems like you're getting excessive/unnecessary rubbing from the bottom of your door.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
stop dragging yer lead foot

muh junk is 12 years old and still looks great
^^This, lift your feets
Old 08-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Ace of Spades

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
stop dragging yer lead foot

muh junk is 12 years old and still looks great
Unfortunately, i didnt cause it. It was prior owner. I've only had the truck for less than a year.

Still, the question stands, what can i do to cover it and prevent more damage? I'm not good at painting, so that shit is out. (I dont want it to look more like ass)

2000 Access cab.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Unfortunately, i didnt cause it. It was prior owner. I've only had the truck for less than a year.

Still, the question stands, what can i do to cover it and prevent more damage? I'm not good at painting, so that shit is out. (I dont want it to look more like ass)

2000 Access cab.
It's down to bare metal, you have to use some sort of paint to cover it regardless of what you do. If you just throw a cap on it, the bare metal will eventually rust underneath it.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

2000 Access cab.
rattle can it... it don't have to be perfect if you intend to cover it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
It's down to bare metal, you have to use some sort of paint to cover it regardless of what you do. If you just throw a cap on it, the bare metal will eventually rust underneath it.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
You do not have to be a professional painter to paint that small area. Mask or cover everything but that area. Wash it down, sand it, prime it and spray can paint it Let it dry between coats.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

2000 Access cab.
I never touched a can of spray paint in my life until this past year when I started to touch up, or black out, parts of my truck.

The old adage, "if I can do it, any one can" is very much applicable to spray painting.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Clear bra on it would keep it nice.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
You do not have to be a professional painter to paint that small area. Mask or cover everything but that area. Wash it down, sand it, prime it and spray can paint it Let it dry between coats.
What these guys said.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
SuperWhiteSLT11 is on a distinguished road

Name: STEVE
SuperWhiteSLT11's Tacoma Gallery
Door Sill Wear

Looks like the bottom of your door is rubbing on the sill and top edge of the rocker panel , if you spot refinish the sill its just going to wear off again , you may have a bad hinge , open the door all the way and try to lift it from the bottom the door should be tight with very little play, if you don't want to spray paint the sill at least , touch it up after you find out what's causing the problem.