Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Help cleaning buildup off window

Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Help cleaning buildup off window

Up until recently the only window product I've used is Stoner's Invisible Glass. I've posted some pictures below. These windows are on a new Tacoma with less than 1500 miles on it.

I tried switching to Windex Auto to see if it would cut whatever it is that's on them and it made no difference.

It was recommended that I try using vinegar and it also made no difference.

I've included some photos. The residue you see is on the outside of the window. These windows are freshly cleaned. They feel gritty to the touch.

This last photo is after I wiped down the inside of the windows. There's an oily film on the inside that streaks horribly and makes it near impossible to see if the windows fog. The streaks you see are in a different pattern from how I wiped the window. I haven't been able to remove this film. I'm not sure if it's related to the problems on the outside of the window.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
the stuff on the outside is from the acid rain. I have had good luck using compound on my windows..The inside..ehh, looks like dried wax. Are you using different microfibers to clean the truck/windows?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
the stuff on the outside is from the acid rain. I have had good luck using compound on my windows.
So polish it off?

The farmers have been doing a lot of spraying this summer (crop dusting), and I've had a few airplanes fly over and beside me while driving into town. I was kind of wondering if they were the source of my woes.

Quote:
The inside..ehh, looks like dried wax. Are you using different microfibers to clean the truck/windows?
I do, but no guaranty that the dealership did.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Boltsfaninmo is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Boltsfaninmo's Tacoma Gallery
You could try to claybar the glass.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Banned
Streetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of light
Streetsurfz727's Tacoma Gallery
I had the exact same problem, Regular glass cleaning products wouldn't do squat. Use this stuff its about $7autozone. Goes on easy just rub it in with steady pressure with a clean t-shirt or rag Works AMAZING!! My windows look factory new now. Mothers products are the best hands down.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Banned
Streetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of lightStreetsurfz727 is a glorious beacon of light
Streetsurfz727's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah and don't ever use windex on your windows especially if you have them tinted the ammonia will mess it all up.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
to get the streaks on the inside off, use a dry, clean towel and some elbow grease. I have found, for these stubborn streaks, it is best to use a worn out towel, not a brand new super soft one. The light abrasion of the old towel should cut through and remove the streaks. Caution though, don't use this old towel on tinted windows.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my last Tacoma, it had sat outside and been sprayed with sprinklers every night. It had terrible water spots on all the glass. I tried everything and finally found this on the internet. It did wonders and the glass looked like new afterwards. Some of the worst spots I had to put some of this on a buffer pad and work it in. My local NAPA carried it.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Huge Member

Army:
I tried a clay bar and it did nothing that I could see.

Followed it up with an application of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It's a cleaner/polish that's meant to remove old wax and other contamination off paint prior to waxing. It's particulate starts off aggressive and breaks down into a polish as you work it. Along with cleaning the paint it's good for removing scratches and swirl marks out of clear coat. The dude's at Meg's said it'd be fine to use on windows so I gave it a try.

Whatever was on there was on there good. Two rounds of Ultimate Compound removed about 90% of it. It's too bright out right now to be able to easily see the stuff that remains so I'll finish the job later when the light it better.

I also did a single application on the inside of the windshield and it cut through the waxy/oily residue. It finally squeaks it's so clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetsurfz727 View Post
Oh yeah and don't ever use windex on your windows especially if you have them tinted the ammonia will mess it all up.
Windex Auto is ammonia free.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetsurfz727 View Post
I've used windex a lot with never a problem . Usually on the inside and use a generous amount and dry with paper towels . Comes out perfect . Use generous amounts . Not on tint of coarse .
Old 08-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I would never wax or compound a windshield. Compound will scratch it and wax will fill the imperfections in the glass and haze over time.

For water spots caused by just about anything here is what the pro's use that's still affordable for the public and obtainable.

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...3&ModelID=4380

or

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=20728

Whatever you do be sure and seal the windshield when you are done or it will keep happening.

this is great stuff that can last years

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=4384#
Old 08-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
mcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the roughmcdee is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
mcdee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
the stuff on the outside is from the acid rain. I have had good luck using compound on my windows..The inside..ehh, looks like dried wax. Are you using different microfibers to clean the truck/windows?
Personally have good luck with Klasse cleaner/polish. I use 1x/year for waxing and use as needed for windows,etc.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
LDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LDurchy's Tacoma Gallery
I seem to recall a dealer telling me that the film inside is from evaporation of the vinyl & plastic of interior parts. Especially new cars are prone to this.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDurchy View Post
I seem to recall a dealer telling me that the film inside is from evaporation of the vinyl & plastic of interior parts. Especially new cars are prone to this.

Nice so everyone's lungs are also coated with it. Cool.