Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Water spots, stains, scratched glass, etc.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #41
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery

Really nice 1-2 punch. Finally got around to applying to the Tacoma today. Only thing left is to see how the product works in the rain.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #42
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
Works like rain x, only plays nice w wipers as well
Old 12-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #43
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
just use some elbow grease and use turtle wax deep paint cleaner it only 2 dolla and work wonder no scratch ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNotFab View Post
Mine arrived and I tried it today, wiped down with Invisible Glass first to basically dust the windows off.. then used the CHL stuff, made a huge difference.. I'll probably go over them one more time and seal them again just to get them as clean as possible. The windows are so much smoother now, and I barely see any of the old water type stains. Made a huge difference on my side mirrors too that would not come clean. The sealer smells kind of like Rain X, does it work the same way?
Yes, it's just a longer lasting version. From what I'm told the Rain-X doesn't last as long so you buy more. They could easily make it last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post

Really nice 1-2 punch. Finally got around to applying to the Tacoma today. Only thing left is to see how the product works in the rain.
Did you have stains? Did they come off easily?

I would love to hear what you think about the sealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
Works like rain x, only plays nice w wipers as well
Welp, I'm not so sure it plays nice with wipers.

I will however guarantee it lasts MUCH longer then Rain-X.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #44
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
The process was pretty easy. I did use up the last of the sprayaway to get rid of the surface dirt. The cleaner sort of reminded me of glass wax from the 50's and 60's in that it will haze up and then you remove it with a clean cloth.

The sealer went on super easy and wiped off with no problems. I put on two coats of sealer as recommended on the bottle.

I hope the rain water beads up and flies off do to the wind when moving. It would be perfect then.

I have been using this product to seal the window.

http://www.autogeek.net/rain-repellent.html

The product works well but your recommended product is a lot less expensive. FTMW
Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #45
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Do these products work on body paint? I have some deep water spots on my hood, and I would really like to get rid of them. If these do not, what are your guy's recommendations for water spots on the paint?

Matt
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #46
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Do these products work on body paint? I have some deep water spots on my hood, and I would really like to get rid of them. If these do not, what are your guy's recommendations for water spots on the paint?

Matt
You need to bring your truck over to Bowie.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #47
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
You need to bring your truck over to Bowie.
Say what?

Matt
Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #49

Firefighter:
Quote:
I have everything you need to take out water etchings/water spots.
What do I need???

Matt
Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #50
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
What do I need???

Matt
Random orbital buffer and a mild polish. You could always try Scratch X from Megs and see if that works.

This guy, Mike Phillips has probably forgot more about detailing than most people know. He is a great guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtjPyiJkio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nudO8R6b9Qc
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #51
Never Forget! 343
Bengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud ofBengland25 has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
Name: Bradley
Bengland25's Tacoma Gallery
Alright so here it is, I have oil residue from god knows what on my windshield.

Last night I scrubbed it down 2 times with dawn and washed it off. It appeared to be clean at the time. I also washed the wipers with dawn to remove residue on them as well.

This morning it was raining and I flipped on the wipers, and what do you know, the oil residue is still there!!!

This needs to be taken care of, I have used different glass cleaners and dawn and can't think of anything else. Tips, hints, suggestions???
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #52
conquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura about

conquistador's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengland25 View Post
Alright so here it is, I have oil residue from god knows what on my windshield.

Last night I scrubbed it down 2 times with dawn and washed it off. It appeared to be clean at the time. I also washed the wipers with dawn to remove residue on them as well.

This morning it was raining and I flipped on the wipers, and what do you know, the oil residue is still there!!!

This needs to be taken care of, I have used different glass cleaners and dawn and can't think of anything else. Tips, hints, suggestions???

I'd try an IPA wipe down
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #54
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's an IPA wipe down? Sorry not familiar with that term other then the beers haha
isopropyl alcohol
Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #57
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
what the best thing for the tinted windows?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #58
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks man, I wasn't wanting to waste some good beer on my windshield haha just put the alcohol on a rag and wipe it down I'm assuming?
That would be the ticket. Use a clean rag.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #59
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
Link says micro abrasives remove the spots. I always try to stay away from abrasives. They should be used as a last resort IMO.

For the cost I would just use what I linked in the OP. I have used it in a professional setting for many many years with no issues.
Also remember to seal the glass when your done using whatever you do use to remove the spots so they don't come back. Once your glass has degraded bad enough that water spots stain it's key.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #60
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Boyd:
The products you referenced work really well. Water beads up and runs off the glass even when thewre is a dirt film on the window. Well worth the cost IMHO.

Products Discussed in this Thread