Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Water spots, stains, scratched glass, etc.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Water spots, stains, scratched glass, etc.

To remove water spots use this (I have used it commercially for many years on hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of glass with zero issues)

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...3&ModelID=4380

or (I have never used this product)

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=20728

When your done cleaning the water spots use a sealer or you WILL get stains again!

This sealer can last years http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...3&ModelID=4384

Never do the following to glass:

1) Wax your windshield. Wax is not for glass and will fill the voids, chips, and clevises and haze over time. It's for paint NOT glass.

2) Use steel wool of any kind. It creates hundreds of thousands of miniscule scratches that will make staining worse in the long run. They are not viable to the eye. Steel should never touch glass regardless of how hard you think glass and steel are. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...ml#post2034997

If you don't want to believe me or my almost 2 decades working with glass see here (from Oldcastle Glass the largest fabricator of glass in North America written in conjunction with G.A.N.A. Glass Association of North America) http://www.winecellarinnovations.com/glasscleaning.pdf

When cleaning acid etched, sand blasted, or frosted glass Mr Clean Magic Eraser is great. Sparkle listed above is also good. When your done cleaning it use a sealer so it stops absorbing oils, dirt, and chemicals.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
reserved for scratch removal.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
what about crack removal?
my stupid guy wont pass me truck this year and insp exp. on friday
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
what about crack removal?
my stupid guy wont pass me truck this year and insp exp. on friday

Mines been up since 5/12....I have a year extension but won't stick it on my fractured windshield.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
pmosin is on a distinguished road
pmosin's Tacoma Gallery
I'd love to hear about scratch removal. My windshield wiper blade on the drivers side popped out of its holder and the metal "hook" on the wiper arm caused some very light scratching on windshield in one part of the arc, and it's kinda driving me nuts. Mostly because it's in my line-of-sight. It's almost like a haze, I'm not sure that I can feel it with my fingernail.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmosin View Post
I'd love to hear about scratch removal. My windshield wiper blade on the drivers side popped out of its holder and the metal "hook" on the wiper arm caused some very light scratching on windshield in one part of the arc, and it's kinda driving me nuts. Mostly because it's in my line-of-sight. It's almost like a haze, I'm not sure that I can feel it with my fingernail.

We use cerium oxide and a professional polisher at work, but this is good for home use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk4XP...eature=related

If you can fit your finger nail in it, it's time for a new windshield. Please note you will be removing the surface of the glass until you get the the depth of the scratch. This may cause the glass to become blurry if the polishing is not tapered out correctly.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
I could use this on the ex cab window.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
jrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud of

Name: Jeff
jrobcet's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
To remove water spots use this (I have used it commercially for many years on hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of glass with zero issues)

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...3&ModelID=4380

When your done cleaning the water spots use a sealer or you WILL get stains again!

This sealer can last years http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...3&ModelID=4384

Thank you Skip! You are the man!!

CRL Sparkle took ALL the water spots off my windows! I had resigned myself to living with dirty windows, but they look like new again!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobcet View Post
Thank you Skip! You are the man!!

CRL Sparkle took ALL the water spots off my windows! I had resigned myself to living with dirty windows, but they look like new again!

No problem. Now remember to seal them up or it will only happen again.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
jrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud of

Name: Jeff
jrobcet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No problem. Now remember to seal them up or it will only happen again.
I bought the sealer along with the cleaner. Windows are squeaky clean and sealed up.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Jeff:
Were you able to purchase on line?

Nevermind. I was able to purchase on line this morning.

Should have both products by the time I have to clean all the windows in the house.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Let me know how you like them. What did you go with?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
So are you saying that if i clean and then seal my windows with the above mentioned products, i will not have waterspots the next time i wash?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Let me know how you like them. What did you go with?

I bought the two recommended products and should have them by the end of the week.

I will do a follow up.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
posting so i can reference this when i get off work!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
So are you saying that if i clean and then seal my windows with the above mentioned products, i will not have waterspots the next time i wash?

No. Water spots are created by impurities in the water so unless your using distilled water and don't let it sit your going to have spots.

What I am saying is if you use these products such spots will not stain the glass and the glass will be much easier to clean.

Glass surfaces are full of ridges/bumps/scratches and over time acid rain and the sun eat away at it making the finish even more blemished just like paint. The cleaner is like a good clay bar and the sealer is just like a good paint sealer.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #18
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Saved for later. X2 on the magic eraser. That thing works awesome for stains of any sort.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No. Water spots are created by impurities in the water so unless your using distilled water and don't let it sit your going to have spots.

What I am saying is if you use these products such spots will not stain the glass and the glass will be much easier to clean.

Glass surfaces are full of ridges/bumps/scratches and over time acid rain and the sun eat away at it making the finish even more blemished just like paint. The cleaner is like a good clay bar and the sealer is just like a good paint sealer.
10-4

what about interior windows that have window tint?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Boyd:
Can this solution also be applied to the inside of my home windows or do I just use the cleaner and skip the sealant on the insude?

Products Discussed in this Thread