Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

How to hide scratches in the paint?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
evan164 is on a distinguished road
Name: Evan
evan164's Tacoma Gallery
How to hide scratches in the paint?

My truck has a lot of scratches and scuffs. As soon as I clean the mud off then all the scratches come out. It's a lose lose.

My mom said wax will help, my dad said polish. I don't know enough about either to decide.

Can you suggest any products to help hide the scratches in the paint?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Polish will remove paint and therefore remove shallow scratches. Wax can help hide very shallow scratches but really won't touch the significant ones.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
As far as scratches and scrapes go there are a lot of products that can help. Most are abrasive in some fashion so exercise some caution and start in a small area that is inconspicuous. Keep in mind a gauge into the paint may need more than a polish or compound

Start with something more mild like a polishing wax or a clay bar. They are a little less abrasive and will work on minor stuffs and give the paint a nice shine. Follow the instructions on the package

If that isnt enough, polishing compound is a bit more aggressive. And if that isnt enough rubbing compound is even more aggressive.

Just take it slow.

When your all done remember to give it a good waxing to protect your paint.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
You can try touch up paint, I like after market ones with a felt tip, and follow it up with Langka Blob Eliminator. This works best on deep scratches and chips.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Call a paint correction expert and you can have those scratches fixed and not just hid(where they will come back in a few washes). Just know that if someone is doing real paint correction and not filling/hiding the damage, it will not be cheap. But if properly maintained, it will stay looking better than when you purchased it new.

For an idea of what real correction will do here are a few pictures from one I did for a HAMMERED car.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
^nice work!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible to do "paint correction" using a orbital buffer? With a scratch/swirl remover paste? Or would I need more?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremetaco2 View Post
Is it possible to do "paint correction" using a orbital buffer? With a scratch/swirl remover paste? Or would I need more?
I don't particularly care for random orbit buffers like the Porter Cable but plenty of folks love them and get excellent results.

I generally use a rotary or in special cases, a forced-rotation random orbit buffer like the Bosch 1250DEVS.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanClaude View Post
Call a paint correction expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremetaco2 View Post
There's a reason he included "expert" in his post.

This is not something you can "just do"... Regular auto parts stores may or may not have the proper abrasives to do it, but you and I do not have the skills to do anything other than make it worse, even with the proper buffer.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
I rubbed my jeep down with pledge before I sold it. Worked wonders on the scratches! Good enough to sell anyway
Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't buy a Jeep without scratches. It hasn't been loved!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I wouldn't buy a Jeep without scratches. It hasn't been loved!
Where were you when I was selling, coulda saved a half a can pledge!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
lol