Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Toyota factory paint sealer

Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
justinitsuj is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
justinitsuj's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota factory paint sealer

I purchased the factory paint sealer that toyota offers when I bought my truck over a year ago. I was thinking of using a clay bar to detail my truck this weekend. Does anyone know if the clay bar is safe for the sealent or will it clay it all off. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
The sealant that Toyota sold you a year ago has been long since washed off. You're OK to clay bar this weekend!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
tacoma steve is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
tacoma steve's Tacoma Gallery
If you got the same thing I got which is the Environmental paint protection, they told me it last for 5 years. At least that's the warranty on the paint if bird crap or tree sap damage the paint. Not sure if the clay bar is ok or not but might be best to wait.

Steve
Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma steve View Post
If you got the same thing I got which is the Environmental paint protection, they told me it last for 5 years. At least that's the warranty on the paint if bird crap or tree sap damage the paint. Not sure if the clay bar is ok or not but might be best to wait.

Steve
No sealant, even opti coat, will stop the right bird crap or tree sap that has sat on the paint too long. A good sealant buys you some time. It does not make the surface of the paint invincible against harmful elements. Dealerships outright lie to people to sell them an overpriced cheap product.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
But if something happens with the paint from bird crap or tree sap they will repaint
Old 09-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
yeah i got the same one as you. The only good thing I noticed about it is it keeps your car looking clean and shiny all the time. Thats the only thing. Regret buying it now but at the time heard good reviews from the guys at work. Gonna clay bar it this weekend and apply another sealant and a good coat of wax over it. Thanks guys!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
But if something happens with the paint from bird crap or tree sap they will repaint
They will do a *spot blend* job. Dealerships will do the absolute cheapest thing possible and you are the one stuck with a sorry repaint. Any repaint, even a good one, will not be a good thing. There's no substitution for well kept quality factory paint completed by robots.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
By the way, not trying to pick on you. I just have contempt for dealership "quality".
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
All the "paint sealant" is a wax. You could wax the vehicle and would provide the same thing that the dealer did. But if you do it you save the $500 the dealer charges... Or what ever they charge. I tell them they can do the paint sealant but I'm not paying for it. Its just a way to increase the price of the vehicle. Take it home and wax it your self.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
I'm thinking it's more than just a wax. They claim the truck doesn't have to be waxed for 5 years. We got it for my wife's 4runner which is a 2010 all we've done to that is just wash it, still looks shiny and water still beads up on it like it was just waxed. If it was just wax wouldn't that be gone by now on hers?

Steve
Old 09-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
There is a difference in wax and sealant.

If you guys are interested in a quality product that will last years and you can apply yourself, look up Opti-Bond made by Optimum.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanClaude View Post
There is a difference in wax and sealant.

If you guys are interested in a quality product that will last years and you can apply yourself, look up Opti-Bond made by Optimum.
Could this be what they put on?

Steve
Old 09-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
I got the Xylion(sp) from toyota to try it out. I like it to an extent. For future reference, prolly wont go with. Prolly just buy a sealer like the one listed above and do it myself. Save a lot of money.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Quote:
Could this be what they put on?

Steve
Could they? Yes, it is available at a retail cost of $60 +shipping. Will any dealership spend $60 on a proper product when they can use anything else that is cheap and does not have the R&D cost associated with it? No.

Simply put, dealerships, as a whole, will say anything to put more $ in their pocket.

The shrewd owner will buy something himself once he knows there is something better available for less.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
wont really matter cause toyota contracts the company. If you have problems, the sealant reps come to your house to try and touch it up. If that doesn't work, they send it to a local detailing company they work with to detail the parts that the sealant is "suppose" to protect.