1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on dealing with a camper shell color mismatch?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Madcat207, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Sep 7, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    Madcat207

Madcat207 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Long Bed Sport
    So, fairly straightforward.. bought a great used shell, but it is silver, and my taco is SWB... not to worst combo, but can still look a little weird. As i see it, i know i have these options:
    1) Suck it up, and ignore it - color doesn't change functionality, yadda yadda
    2) Keep looking for another used in the right color....
    3) Take it to Macco, etc - probably the best idea, but don't have that kind of cash right now....

With that said.. are there any cheaper options out there, that I could do, that do not result in it looking like crap? Plasti-derp?

Open to ideas (and really open to anyone having a SWB Leer 180 or ARE MX in the New Mexico area looking to trade..... ;)

2. Sep 7, 2012 at 5:33 AM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Maaco is your cheapest option. If you're on a budget, I'd recommend getting it painted there. Just save up the cash, and do it when ready.

3. Sep 7, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Run it mis matched until you find one that is the correct color or you have the cash to have it painted. Talk to local paint shops also, sometimes, if you do the prep work, they can come down on their pricing and you'll get a better paint job than Maaco.

4. Sep 7, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    any pics? might help us help you :) anyway, agree with the maaco idea. shouldn't be all that much. another idea, roll-on bedliner (seen it done once), may not look bad and much easier than anything in a rattle-can. in black, of course :D

5. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    Madcat207

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
  6. Sep 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    Madcat207

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    So, I got around to making some calls.. Macco wants $300 for a two stage color match, and a local shop wanted around $500.

Now, I got the shell for $300, so macco would bring the total in investment to $600.. which woupdnt be bad, but here is the one thing holding me back..

I got an ARE CX , but really want an MX (or equivalent), and would instantly sell the cd if something popped up. Now, SWB is actually moderately popular here, but silver is far more popular. If I paint it I may have a harder time selling it.. but I have no idea when or even if anything I am looking for Mmay come up.

Any further thoughts?

Products Discussed in

To Top