Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Weathertech vent's & bug guard

Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
wags is on a distinguished road
wags's Tacoma Gallery
Weathertech vent's & bug guard

My last 2 vehicles I owned were equiped with Weatherguard floor mats or trunk mats. All were durable, easy to maintain, excellent fit, and basically maintenance free. I'm now thinking about purchasing for the first time window vents and bug/rock guard for my 2012 Tacoma 4x4. I'm tired of getting water in vehicle when just cracking window for ventalation during a light rain. And I believe the hood guard will help on keeping the bugs in check via my windshield.

Anyone like Weathertech, or have other idea's on another top name brand of the products I just mentioned? The $60 for both items is within reason and not an issue. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
I've got AVS window vents, and bug deflector on my taco, and I'm happy with both. Weathertech is a good name though, and I'd imagine their product to be just as good as AVS. My only personal preference is that the window vents be adhesive-bonded to the outside of the window frame, as opposed to some which slide into the window frame channel. But that's just personal preference...
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I have AVS in channel window vents. Love them.

Whatever you get, do in-channel window vents
Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
wags's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up ordering the Weathertech window vents (in window channel)and bug shield. I will post my thoughts once they arrive and are installed.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
wags's Tacoma Gallery
The window vents and bug deflector arrived today! 2 days turn around is outstanding. Went directly through Weathertech. Will install tomorrow on my day off with results and feedback. 2 days turn around........ wow.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
us3rname is on a distinguished road
Army: Army Aviation
us3rname's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I have AVS in channel window vents. Love them.

Whatever you get, do in-channel window vents
Do you get any wind noise with the in-channel vents?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by us3rname View Post

i dont really get them. and i love the weathertech in channel vent visors
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
wags's Tacoma Gallery
This morning I installed the Weathertech window vents and bug deflector. Directions were simple and direct with no hidden surprises during installation. Fit, finish and quality were impressive. I'd been more pleased if product was made in USA, but was manufactured in Germany which is way better in my opinon than China. Haven't done road test for noise, but when I get out and there are any issues I will post them.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by us3rname View Post
No more when I had the taped on to the door frame.

A lot less than no vents
Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
wags's Tacoma Gallery
A quick and honest update: I took my Tacoma on a 4hr road trip last weekend. Mainly interstate and in the rain. The Weathertech window guards worked as I expected. No rain inside the vehicle while window's were brought down about 2". Fantastic. When rain stopped, hardly any bugs peppering my windshield. A few of course, but nothing like before I purchased the hood guard. Both Weathertech item's have turned out to be a good investment for my Tacoma.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
Crusher69 is on a distinguished road

Name: Sean
Crusher69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
A quick and honest update: I took my Tacoma on a 4hr road trip last weekend. Mainly interstate and in the rain. The Weathertech window guards worked as I expected. No rain inside the vehicle while window's were brought down about 2". Fantastic. When rain stopped, hardly any bugs peppering my windshield. A few of course, but nothing like before I purchased the hood guard. Both Weathertech item's have turned out to be a good investment for my Tacoma.
its on my mod list now
Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
CDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wayne
CDNTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the stone/bug guard today...still waiting for the window guards. 6 - 8 week backorder when I bought them 3 weeks ago so hopefully I get them soon.

Concerning the stone/bug deflector, do I need to install the 4 little bump stops on the hood or is that overkill? It seems pretty solid and I can't imagine how it could make contact on the hood?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
CDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedCDNTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CDNTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some pics.
I still don't see a need for the little clear rubber stops as the material is somewhat rigid and by design it doesn't really make any contact except for where it wraps the front of the hood which is protected by that 3M paint strip they send with the kit. BTW, temps are about 38 degrees Farenheit here now...so the winter boots are on with the 2007 Steelies. Got pooched on the lug nuts and can't figure out the lug size that will work to keep the centre cap on tight..so I left the caps off. just in case your wondering.... LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Weathertech vent's & bug guard-img00002-20121106-0921.jpg   Weathertech vent's & bug guard-img00003-20121106-0922.jpg   Weathertech vent's & bug guard-img00004-20121106-0922.jpg   Weathertech vent's & bug guard-img00005-20121106-0933.jpg   Weathertech vent's & bug guard-img00006-20121106-0933.jpg  

Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNTACO View Post
Here are some pics.
I still don't see a need for the little clear rubber stops as the material is somewhat rigid and by design it doesn't really make any contact except for where it wraps the front of the hood which is protected by that 3M paint strip they send with the kit.
I didn't install them on my '06 either - zero issues. When I got mine a couple of years ago, there wasn't a strip included to protect the paint. Just pulled the deflector off last weekend to have a look for the first time since installed during the spring/summer of '09, and there's zero issue with the paint where the deflector touches it. I think it's got everything to do with the hood holding it tight against the headlights and grill - no rubbing = no paint wear.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #16

CDNTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ules View Post
I didn't install them on my '06 either - zero issues. When I got mine a couple of years ago, there wasn't a strip included to protect the paint. Just pulled the deflector off last weekend to have a look for the first time since installed during the spring/summer of '09, and there's zero issue with the paint where the deflector touches it. I think it's got everything to do with the hood holding it tight against the headlights and grill - no rubbing = no paint wear.

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks Marc.
That's good to know. I figure it's a generic installation kit along with the instructions for the most part. I've seen some deflectors on other vehicles where it's more or less a straight piece of plastic which under a wind load probably does flutter in the wind making contact. With the Tacoma, since the deflector follows the curves/height of the hood it essentially gives it extra strength IMO.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #17
car78412 is a splendid one to beholdcar78412 is a splendid one to beholdcar78412 is a splendid one to beholdcar78412 is a splendid one to beholdcar78412 is a splendid one to beholdcar78412 is a splendid one to behold

car78412's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNTACO View Post
Here are some pics.
I still don't see a need for the little clear rubber stops as the material is somewhat rigid and by design it doesn't really make any contact except for where it wraps the front of the hood which is protected by that 3M paint strip they send with the kit. BTW, temps are about 38 degrees Farenheit here now...so the winter boots are on with the 2007 Steelies. Got pooched on the lug nuts and can't figure out the lug size that will work to keep the centre cap on tight..so I left the caps off. just in case your wondering.... LOL
I am on the fence with getting this. My 03 developed rust where the stones hit the hood, mainly above the headlights. After researching all of the different models on the market, I like the Weathertech the best. Two questions, How well does it fit with the supports wedged between the grill/headlights and the hood? The spacing is mighty small. Also, how does it affect the rubber gasket on those areas?

Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #18
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
I like my in channel weathertech rain guards but I have one complaint. The driver side window is fine but the passenger window struggles when going up and down. I rolled the window down on that side and then rolled it back up and it actually took the tint off the window it was so tight. My neighbor has the same issue with his. Anyone else?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
cut or put some type of lube on it
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
cut or put some type of lube on it
That just seems like a poor design for weathertech. I would hate to put lube on the window.