Notices

Undercoating Protection. Worth it?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
Hotrodroxie is on a distinguished road
Hotrodroxie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotrodroxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinOhio View Post
So I took my truck in to get undercoating. Did not take pics before, but here is the aftermath. $395 plus tax. They sprayed the whole undercarriage and drilled and sprayed inside the doors. The process took 2 days (one to clean and spray, the 2nd day to let it cure in order to guarantee their work). I am happy I got it done before winter. They laid it pretty thick on the front skid plate but it doesn't really hurt. Went to Z Tech in Canton, Oh.
I'm in Green, do you LOVE it? is it working? What about any surface rust before they spray it...buff it off? Did they do any prep? Like I want it detailed and rust cleaned off...then coated...who does THAT
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinOhio View Post
So I took my truck in to get undercoating. Did not take pics before, but here is the aftermath. $395 plus tax. They sprayed the whole undercarriage and drilled and sprayed inside the doors. The process took 2 days (one to clean and spray, the 2nd day to let it cure in order to guarantee their work). I am happy I got it done before winter. They laid it pretty thick on the front skid plate but it doesn't really hurt. Went to Z Tech in Canton, Oh.
This is too excessive in my opinion. Really all they need to coat are the frame and rear axle. 2nd gen bodies have not shown to be rust-prone. (Earliest 2005 trucks are now pushing 8 years, so there's good amount of data.)
Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
When we built firetrucks in Canada (and Finland & Germany) , many customers (especially in Quebec) wanted them undercoated aka "rust proofed" (Rusty Jones, Ziebart & etc) ... we even pre-drill holes all over the body, compartment doors and etc. and pumped that crap everywhere.

In most case the undercoating caused more problems (over time) than it solved. Example, missed spots, cracking, chipping & etc ... therefore holding in the salt spray to rust even more later.

IF ... you could completely seal it EVERYTHING ... without screwing up other items, like springs, fuel lines and other misc parts ... in theory it works ... but in real life it didn't.

Best way was to clean vehicles after every time in the salt spray ... period.

PS ....And if you had a personal car that was in the salt all the time ... it was best to leave it outside in the cold at nights and not in a warm garage to rust.

Montreal used to have the worst salt problems that I have ever seen. Now, they use more sand and non corrosive liquid chemicals ... but years ago (late 1970s & early 1980s) ... it was PURE SALT ...
Old 10-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
StuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Mark
StuckinOhio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodroxie View Post
I'm in Green, do you LOVE it? is it working? What about any surface rust before they spray it...buff it off? Did they do any prep? Like I want it detailed and rust cleaned off...then coated...who does THAT
I am still very happy with it. I went to Z-tech in Canton. They will respray/ touch up every year for $40 bucks (for 3years). My truck was only a month or so old before i got it sprayed so there was not any surface rust. I would consider their prep work pretty good. I agree with the above post about routine washes in the winter to remove salt. Not sure if a shop would wire brush rust off before they undercoat. It would be worth a call to find out.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I knew the rust issues before I bought my Tacoma. Plus, I live in a place where there is a lot of freeze, thaw weather(+10C one day, -20C the next). Also with the amount of snow we get, they use a lot of sand, salt, gravel on the roads. I plan on keeping the truck until it dies so I think that it's a good investment.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #26
Toy Truck Fan
Hungry is on a distinguished road
Canadian Army: R Westmr R, 1PPCLI, LER
Name: Barney
Hungry's Tacoma Gallery
I'm north of Toronto, Ontario where pure SALT is all that's used. And yes, we get all those thaws throughout the winter.

For the past 20 years, I have our 2 vehicles (Rav4 and Tacos) KROWN rust sprayed each August (easy to dry after washing, easy to apply) for about $125 per vehicle.

My dealership mechanics often comment how well rust prevented my car/Truck/SUV's look. That's peace of mind over the years. We hand our vehicles down to our kids here in our family so we like keeping them super clean. My 2 boys appreciate this practice!

Cheers,
Barney