1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undercoating Protection. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by StuckinOhio, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Sep 6, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    This is too excessive in my opinion. Really all they need to coat are the frame and rear axle. 2nd gen bodies have not shown to be rust-prone. (Earliest 2005 trucks are now pushing 8 years, so there's good amount of data.)

2. Sep 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    When we built firetrucks in Canada (and Finland & Germany) , many customers (especially in Quebec) wanted them undercoated aka "rust proofed" (Rusty Jones, Ziebart & etc) ... we even pre-drill holes all over the body, compartment doors and etc. and pumped that crap everywhere.

In most case the undercoating caused more problems (over time) than it solved. Example, missed spots, cracking, chipping & etc ... therefore holding in the salt spray to rust even more later.

IF ... you could completely seal it EVERYTHING ... without screwing up other items, like springs, fuel lines and other misc parts ... in theory it works ... but in real life it didn't.

Best way was to clean vehicles after every time in the salt spray ... period.

PS ....And if you had a personal car that was in the salt all the time ... it was best to leave it outside in the cold at nights and not in a warm garage to rust.

Montreal used to have the worst salt problems that I have ever seen. Now, they use more sand and non corrosive liquid chemicals ... but years ago (late 1970s & early 1980s) ... it was PURE SALT ... :eek:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. Oct 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    StuckinOhio

StuckinOhio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' v6 AC 4x4 SR5
    I am still very happy with it. I went to Z-tech in Canton. They will respray/ touch up every year for $40 bucks (for 3years). My truck was only a month or so old before i got it sprayed so there was not any surface rust. I would consider their prep work pretty good. I agree with the above post about routine washes in the winter to remove salt. Not sure if a shop would wire brush rust off before they undercoat. It would be worth a call to find out.

4. Oct 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I knew the rust issues before I bought my Tacoma. Plus, I live in a place where there is a lot of freeze, thaw weather(+10C one day, -20C the next). Also with the amount of snow we get, they use a lot of sand, salt, gravel on the roads. I plan on keeping the truck until it dies so I think that it's a good investment.

5. Jan 21, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    Hungry

Hungry Toy Truck Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Barney
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    Extang Freedom Trifold Tonneau Cover
    I'm north of Toronto, Ontario where pure SALT is all that's used. And yes, we get all those thaws throughout the winter.

For the past 20 years, I have our 2 vehicles (Rav4 and Tacos) KROWN rust sprayed each August (easy to dry after washing, easy to apply) for about $125 per vehicle.

My dealership mechanics often comment how well rust prevented my car/Truck/SUV's look. That's peace of mind over the years. We hand our vehicles down to our kids here in our family so we like keeping them super clean. My 2 boys appreciate this practice! :D

Cheers,
    Barney

Products Discussed in

To Top