Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Undercoating Protection. Worth it?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
StuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Mark
StuckinOhio's Tacoma Gallery
Undercoating Protection. Worth it? UPDATED W/ PICS

This may not be the right section for discussing undercoating but it pertains to keeping my brand new tacoma looking nice and rust free. Whats your guys thoughts on it? I live in NE ohio with salt white roads in the winter. We see alot of freeze thaw cycles which means the roads are always wet. for $300-390 I am considering it. I know i could buy alot of wire brushes and spray paint for that money tho. What is your guys thoughts? I plan on keeping this truck for at least 8 years maybe more.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you made up your mind already.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on keeping the truck that long, do it now before it starts rusting. It's a PITA to do later.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Do it, I live in n.e. pa. And had mine done before I took it home.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Search a product called Fluid Film here on TacomaWorld. Just get some cans and spray your whole undercarriage. Undercoatings crack with time and cracks hold salt!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillynwv View Post
Search a product called Fluid Film here on TacomaWorld. Just get some cans and spray your whole undercarriage. Undercoatings crack with time and cracks holds salt!
Have you undercoated your undercarraige with fluid film? Just curious because I have the whole fluid film kit in my garage, ready to go.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Have you undercoated your undercarraige with fluid film? Just curious because I have the whole fluid film kit in my garage, ready to go.
No, I have not but I will this fall before the salt begins in November. I usually coat my undercarriage with two WD-40 Big Blaster cans. It has worked well with only some minor rust here and there. I received my sample can of Fluid Film and used it on a wheel barrow that stands out in the weather up against a wall. After many rains pounding down on it the film has remained thick and has not washed off which has impressed me. I can buy Fluid Film at my local John Deere dealer for $10/can.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillynwv View Post
No, I have not but I will this fall before the salt begins in November. I usually coat my undercarriage with two WD-40 Big Blaster cans. It has worked well with only some minor rust here and there. I received my sample can of Fluid Film and used it on a wheel barrow that stands out in the weather up against a wall. After many rains pounding down on it the film has remained thick and has not washed off which has impressed me. I can buy Fluid Film at my local John Deere dealer for $10/can.
Did you get the whole kit with the pressure pot gun and everything or are you just using spray cans? I also got the free sample and used it up on some minor rust spots on the Taco, some exposed black iron piping for my propane line and some other small items. I've got the gallon can and the gun for the frame. That will also likely happen this fall.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
StuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of lightStuckinOhio is a glorious beacon of light
Are there any warranty issues with applying an undercoating spray?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinOhio View Post
Are there any warranty issues with applying an undercoating spray?
No, unless the undercoating causes something to fail (say if it was really slopped on and clogged a breather or plugged up a sensor, etc). Just applying the coating wouldn't cause you any warranty issues.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I had the entire underside of my 2000 rhino-lined.

I bought it off a older gentleman in arizona, so no rust. Living in Salty Hell (utah), i need something on the underside of the vehicle.

Rhino lining applied thick, still is tacky, and hold up very well (except gasoline will dissolve it. (discovered while changing fuel filter)
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine done as a dealer option. It was a steep $500 or so but I didn't necessarily get it for the coating, I got it for the warranty that accompanied it. Lifetime repair or replace, as long as you drop by the dealership and have it inspected once every two years. Hopefully I don't have to use it, but I'm glad knowing that I'll be covered in case that it happens. So many nice truck in Hawaii have gone to waste due to rust, I don't want to be one of them!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Yea that is nice. I was looking at an independent detailing shop to do it. It was 400+ tax but was lifetime touchup. I am planning on getting it next paycheck. It takes 2 days for them to do everything. I was a bit skeptical at first so I stopped by and talked to the install guy to check out their work.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
NEvER AGAIN, had a brand new car Done and the crap never dried. Everything sticks to it. These cars have factory undercoating and metals are protected.

Must people do what they want, I heard all that too and did eexactly what I wanted. Now have experienced it with undercoat, so lessened learned.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't on this one. I had my '99 undercoated and touched up every year and the frame rust recall still got it. Personally I don't think it's worth it after that.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
Tim2012dctaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Tim2012dctaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the fluid film kit as well. I plan on doing my 2012 with it. I guess time will tell. If you do buy it from kellsport use the "tacoma" code to get 15% off. I haven't decided if I am going to do the inside of the doors or not. I'm kinda freaked out about drilling holes in them.
Tim
Old 09-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Tim2012dctaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Tim2012dctaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just applied fluid film for the first time using the "pro" gun. It worked beautifully. Adjusted the gun to get a nice "mist" and it went on evenly without any heavy blobs. I will say the air pressure recommended (80psi) may be a little high, I will lower it next application and see how it works. I will let you know how it holds up.
Tim
Old 10-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
So I took my truck in to get undercoating. Did not take pics before, but here is the aftermath. $395 plus tax. They sprayed the whole undercarriage and drilled and sprayed inside the doors. The process took 2 days (one to clean and spray, the 2nd day to let it cure in order to guarantee their work). I am happy I got it done before winter. They laid it pretty thick on the front skid plate but it doesn't really hurt. Went to Z Tech in Canton, Oh.
Attached Thumbnails
Undercoating Protection. Worth it?-img_0467.jpg   Undercoating Protection. Worth it?-img_0483.jpg   Undercoating Protection. Worth it?-img_0478.jpg   Undercoating Protection. Worth it?-img_0484.jpg   Undercoating Protection. Worth it?-img_0481.jpg  

Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Zombie Hunter.
evanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Evan
evanwile's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine undercoated the first time at Krown undercoating. They drilled it out, sprayed everything etc.

Since then I purchased a massive pail of RustCheck no drip undercoating (clear) and coat the entire truck with an undercoating gun at least twice a year.. makes a mess...attracts dirt... but its protecting my investment!!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
Hotrodroxie is on a distinguished road
Hotrodroxie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotrodroxie
I'm in Green, do you LOVE it? is it working? What about any surface rust before they spray it...buff it off? Did they do any prep? Like I want it detailed and rust cleaned off...then coated...who does THAT