LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

PlastiDip durability

Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
DPCardoza is on a distinguished road
DPCardoza's Tacoma Gallery
PlastiDip durability

I tried posting in the mega forum but it got burried under enthusiasm. My question is, how durable is plasti dip? I planned on painting my wheels and bumper valance but the plasidip process seems easier and leaves the possibility of a do-over. Ialso would prefer to not be re-doing the whole thing every 8-12 months. I know painting isn't necessarily permenent either but with a few layers of clear coat on top, should last several years anyways. Cheers
Darren
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Lots of members do da derp. Some even are doin da herpa derpa dipity derp and love that stuff. When all else fails, derp.
Im semi derped.....derped the derping derp outta the wheels and it holds up lovely.

I approve of the derp. For the ease.....the look......and the ability to remove if not liked over time.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It isn't durable. Use real paint.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I derped the emblem on my grille and it has held up for about a 1 1/2 now.

When and if it wears, I plan to paint it.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
i plastidipped my wheels twice in only 14 month. NE winter....salt....snow....ice......it started to finally peel around the wheel weight after 7 months or so. Re did them on a weekend day.......more coats. Lots of washes.......lots of driving........still looks fine.

durable like throw rocks at it?......paint wont even hold up. Go to car washes......everyday driving......not picking at it with your fingers. It will be a good option for anyone who wants to "see" if they like the wheels black or anything else. Paint aint coming off so easy if you dont like it over time.

I decided to redo them again because I had it and I may still want to go back someday.

Different strokes for different folks. I wouldnt use it anything taking direct hits from road debris like a front emblem and expect it to hold up. But I can say from PERSONAL experience it worked well on my wheels and I recomend it.

From the sounds of if you want something permant though so sand prime and paint unless you are ok with doing it over once in awhile.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
It's not durable if applied to the front end of the truck... Maybe on the rear bumper will it hold up, but not wheels or grille..
Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I plasti-dipped my Chrome Bull Bar a year ago and so far it has held up very well. I have no complaints. When and if it starts chipping I will do it again. I put bout 3 coats on it so that may be why it has held up so good. Good Luck!!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
One Tire Fire!
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
It's not durable if applied to the front end of the truck... Maybe on the rear bumper will it hold up, but not wheels or grille..
My grille has held up like a champ. 2 months and looks the same from day 1.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEKBOY12295 View Post
My grille has held up like a champ. 2 months and looks the same from day 1.
Um... I tried it on mine and after two washes it was peeling off.... I guess I didn't apply as many coats as I thought I did lol...
Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
One Tire Fire!
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is all about the person and how they apply the plastiderp (proper drying, coats, and how you spray it on). Im sure where you live also plays a key factor, I live in Phoenix so its nothing but dry and rainy sometimes that's about it.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
WTF I THOUGHT YOU DIED!!? Hello stranger!
Haha hey man! Sorry, been busy going through Basic Military Training for the Air Force. I'm in Tech School right now. Now that I'm allowed to socialize with the outside world I had to get my Tacoma fix! Haha I'm going to my first Tacomaworld meet Saturday, which is awesome! I've been looking for another tacoma but they're hard to find! Hopefully I'll be back in one before next summer though. Can't decide between an 04 black tacoma, or a 2nd gen black tacoma. 2nd gens are a lot easier to find locally!
Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
It's only common sense that a product that can be easily peeled off by hand wouldn't be a good choice for the front end of a vehical or wheels.
It has great elasticity.....how it works. Front can be hard to hold up....but me and others have used it on our wheels with some good success. I believe it is a GOOD choice for people looking to test the waters......want to be able to take it off.........and want an easier process of getting the desired look they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
I beg to differ, mine held up amazingly. I put about 3-4 coats on it all and it held up great.
Im with you. even more coats for me though....like 6-8.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Nothin
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
must be a second gen issue
I applied it in 20˚ last winter, been on the front of my truck for almost 10,000 miles and yes, it has small knicks from rocks but as a whole, it is still holding up great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHRMeRszw4
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a tire patched and the plastidip on my wheel took a beating, but nothing I can't respray. That's what's so good about it - you can always respray or remove it completely if you want.