LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Anyone use Dupli color matched paint to paint bumper

Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone use Dupli color matched paint to paint bumper

Im tired of looking at all the chips on my front bumper when I wash my truck, Looking into painting my front bumper this week with dupli color color matched paint. Anyone ever done this or does anyone have any suggestions. I have used compounds and the knicks and scrapes are just to deep for compound to work.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Currently painting with dupli color paint code 209, will post pics of the finished product. Ended up buying 4 cans of color and 4 cans of clear and one coat of primer. About 60 bucks for it all, called a couple body shops and they all want around 250 plus. If this doesnt work out, Line x is the next alternative
Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know how it turns out interested in seeing the results.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
WVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
WVTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
Would have suggested this stuff (www.drcolorchip.com) the road rash kits works great for dark colors. But since you started, let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Not the best photos but I am letting it dry for a couple of days. This stuff is spot on with color matching. I wish I had some before shots but I forgot to take them. No more chips in the bumper now. Just the long process of letting it dry. I have some space heaters in my garage so I am trying to get the garage as hot as I can to bake the paint a little
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone use Dupli color matched paint to paint bumper-dscn1561-1-.jpg   Anyone use Dupli color matched paint to paint bumper-dscn1559-1-.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
Where did you buy the paint?
I had better luck at autozone with the duplicor paint code 209
. I dont think advanced auto carries it
Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
I had better luck at autozone with the duplicor paint code 209
. I dont think advanced auto carries it
sweet thanks man, how much was it a can?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
sweet thanks man, how much was it a can?

Here in my area its 7.49 a can. If you prep everything like it says and wait the amount of time you need to let it dry the results are pretty damn stunning.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Here in my area its 7.49 a can. If you prep everything like it says and wait the amount of time you need to let it dry the results are pretty damn stunning.
Good to know man, thanks. you used clear coat on your bumper I hope?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Good to know man, thanks. you used clear coat on your bumper I hope?
Most deffinately! I used 4 cans. Wouldnt have gotten the pearly like finish if it wasnt for that. If you youtube some duplicolor videos they will show you how to do it step by step. I followed this one but primed the entire bumper

http://youtu.be/jHzoVJ7hV6k
Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
McBuckets
Quote:
Most deffinately! I used 4 cans. Wouldnt have gotten the pearly like finish if it wasnt for that. If you youtube some duplicolor videos they will show you how to do it step by step. I followed this one but primed the entire bumper

http://youtu.be/jHzoVJ7hV6k
Yeah I don't need to paint my bumper was just curious of how it turned out and it sounds good!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing that surprises me the most on this is that someone that is as professional as Duplicolor should know that you NEVER use newspaper to mask off for painting. ANY primer/paint/clear that gets oversprayed onto the paper runs the HIGH risk of bleeding the paper ink and sealing it to the original finish. Now it is not 100% guarantee that it will happen, but I have seen it happen and it causes too much headache. Masking paper is cheap, and can even be bought at your local paint supplier, including house paint suppliers.