Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Tire shine

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't use anything on the tires. I used tire shine/cleaner once and the white letters turned yellow (just after one use!) and the tires still look kinda brown no matter how much I scrub them. Unless you wipe all of the excess off completely that stuff will fly onto the sides of your truck. Also, if the point of the tire shine is to protect the sidewall of the tire you'd have to apply it to the inner sidewall too for it to be worth it.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
Chaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really nice
Chaloots's Tacoma Gallery
i've read goo things about Adams polishes VRT. its a polymer that dries on the tire and forms a barrier. I just ordered some will report back.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #24
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
No wonder why my tires are slightly brown in color... ahhhh!

Declining shine treatment from here on out. Good advice throughout this thread -- glad I took a look.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #25
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeetee View Post
No wonder why my tires are slightly brown in color... ahhhh!

A 2,500psi pressure washer with a green tip will usually take off the "brown".
Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #26
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
If your dressing has a petroleum base to it, it will break down elasticizers in your tire. This will advance aging faster than typical UV breakdown.

If you are going to dress your tires, use a water based dressing. For a nice look, you typically need to apply 3+ applications for a good solid look.

In my opinion, if the tires look shinier than how they look new, it's a bit much. I like a step just above flat.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #27
RussellG is on a distinguished road

Name: Russell
RussellG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
Meguire's High Endurance if you like shine and longevity. It's a gel so no overspray.
Even the spray works well. my tires are a pain to wipe it on. I do it on the car but the truck i dress the whole tire and spray makes quicker work of it. I do this for a few reasons cause I know it will come up... Easy clean up after wheeling, Snow doesnt stick in the blocks as easy and they clear easier if they load up. I also grew up in show cars and trucks and loved the look of a fully dressed tire with the top of the blocks worn off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
A 2,500psi pressure washer with a green tip will usually take off the "brown".
Most people dont even understand that you are supposed to clean a tire before using a dressing on it.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #28
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
In the past I've used this and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Earth-Te.../dp/B0016LEAUI

Quote:
It contains 100% bio-based ingredients including alkanolamines, amino acids, plant and vegetable extracts, non-ionic surfactants, organic alcohol and plant-based fatty acids.
Have no idea if that's bad for your tire, but it makes it look brand new matte/flat black. Here it is on my old Subaru

Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #29
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
I spray tire shine on my tires BEFORE I wash my truck. Once I'm done washing and spraying the tires it leaves a nice satin finish
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #30
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
^^Good idea, might have to try that.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #31
YOTACO is on a distinguished road
Name: Bradford
YOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I apply wheel wax extreme black on and wipe it off. Then i apply Pinnacle black onyx tire gel I let it sit and dry as long as possible without driving. Sometimes even over night. This makes it really dry and stick to the tire. That way it won't sling when you finally decide to drive the car. This technique gives me A perfect satin finish with no sling.

http://www.autogeek.net/whwaxexbltid.html

http://www.autogeek.net/piblontigel.html
Old 12-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #32
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
If you are having trouble with brown tires get some Amazing Rolloff from Autogeek. By far the best tire cleaner out there.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
Pro Tech
SaveAHoRideATACO is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 15th Security Police Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii '91-'94
SaveAHoRideATACO's Tacoma Gallery
Used to work for a major tire manufacturer (Fat Round Guy); The first thing I was told by a Quality Control Manager there in orientation as a new hire was to never use anything other than good old soap and water on tires. I was told that it's potentially dangerous and sometimes chemically degrading to the tire's construction.
There are probably 1,000,000 differing opinions on this. Before being told that, I had always used that stuff on every vehicle (excluding motorcycles) that I ever owned.
I still don't use and haven't used any of those products since then (over 12 years ago), and have no problems with my tires appearance after a good washdown and scrubbing with the soap and water. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
You hear a lot of cautions from old timers, but if any of the commercial preparations were actually dangerous to the structure of the tire, we'd be seeing large warnings on the products indicating not to use them on tires. The CPSC and lawyers would make sure of it.

I haven't looked at a label lately, but a few years ago someone mentioned that the labels DO include a warning not to apply the product to the tread.

Products Discussed in this Thread