Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Tire shine

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
808Bradah is on a distinguished road
808Bradah's Tacoma Gallery
Tire shine

Does tire shine affect the tires in a negative way or do they actually help the tires from cracking And fading as the description says on the can? Also if the overspray gets on the rims will it do anything to the rims?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure the product is silicone free. If any gets on the wheels, just wipe the overspray off when your done.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Mines has silicone, what happens if it has silicone?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, I wouldn't sweat it... Even with silicone, if it gets on your brakes, you'll wear it off quick. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Strictly cosmetic.
The flexing of the tire while rolling migrates carbon black to the surface which protects the rubber from deterioration from ozone and ultraviolet.

Trailer tires show cracks because they sit for months... not because someone used the "wrong" protectant.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
magnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MACS2
Name: Matt
magnetic11's Tacoma Gallery
I hate tire shine on my tires. I'll make them wash it off it it gets put on. Plus it seems to turns your tires brown.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
thanks for the info guys
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic11 View Post
I hate tire shine on my tires. I'll make them wash it off it it gets put on. Plus it seems to turns your tires brown.
^ Same here... never cared for that look on a truck.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
wish I could find a treatment that makes them black, not shiny, I hate the stuff because it slings, no matter how much the manufacturer says that it doesnt, it still does. Any amount of applying and wiping you do, it still slings.

I have used stuff called "blue tire dressing" that nets decent results, but it wears very quickly and you're right back to as if you never did it in the first place
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTQCummins View Post
wish I could find a treatment that makes them black, not shiny, I hate the stuff because it slings, no matter how much the manufacturer says that it doesnt, it still does. Any amount of applying and wiping you do, it still slings.

I have used stuff called "blue tire dressing" that nets decent results, but it wears very quickly and you're right back to as if you never did it in the first place
I like adams super vrt or optimum tire shine. I like tire shine that gives a matte factory look, which these two products do. They will also not sling when applied to a clean tire.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I use tire shine stuff all the time after I wash the truck....no particular brand in mind. I've never had a problem with tires or rims getting messed up from any of it. I just spray it on..... My stock tacoma tires lasted about 45K miles without issues (other than low tread) and my rims still look great!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
off topic but when I had my car I would just cut open a used clean bottle and pour some tire shin in it then use a paint brush to put it on the tires. that way you get no over spray and it goes on nice and thick .
Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Foaming tire shine works best for this. The foam evaporates and the tires are dry and black.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
RATEDXTACO is a name known to allRATEDXTACO is a name known to allRATEDXTACO is a name known to allRATEDXTACO is a name known to allRATEDXTACO is a name known to allRATEDXTACO is a name known to all
RATEDXTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

just use tire dressing thats water based...not oil based, the use a cloth like sponge to apply it. let sit for atleast 10mins, then wipe it off with a dry towel.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
I dilute the turtle wax spray goop with water and wipe off excess. Leaves more of a matte finish instead of the crappy "shine" look.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntaco View Post
Make sure the product is silicone free. If any gets on the wheels, just wipe the overspray off when your done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic11 View Post
actually all tire shines have some form of silicone. What really turns the tires brown is the chemical reaction between the tire and solvents used in the tire shine product.

this is where you do your research and see which tire shine uses less solvents. the solvents opens up the pores of the tires and help make the shine stay on longer.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Voo doo ride, but has silicone. Nice black look.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
magnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MACS2
Name: Matt
magnetic11's Tacoma Gallery
If u want your tires black and looking new, i use bleach white
Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Eagle One spray foam cleaner gives a nice black matte look as well
Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
Meguire's High Endurance if you like shine and longevity. It's a gel so no overspray.

Products Discussed in this Thread