Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Scratch Remover

Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
TRDSport13 is on a distinguished road
TRDSport13's Tacoma Gallery
Scratch Remover

I have a 2013 Tacoma and am wondering if anyone knows how to get very light scratches out of the plastic used for the interior of our doors? The piece in particular is the dark gray panel directly below the window.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Interesting. Have you tried this by chance? Any success?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. I have the same issue.

I assume just use the hair dryer to heat up the plastic? Then what?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDSport13 View Post
Interesting. Have you tried this by chance? Any success?
Never used it on the truck...but have done it on other things/vehicles. Not a cure all and every situation/scratch is different. I got my info online...
Taken off a forum....

This is for minor scratches:

Heat the area, be cautious to not get to close to melt the plastic. Then you just rub them out with your fingers by applying firm pressure while its hot and they disappear.

If you are unsure try a kick panel first, you will see how it works. As far as the Dash, be very careful, since it has a textured surface.

Again, take a heat gun or hair dryer and heat up the scratch. Do a little section at a time.

Do not, I repeat, do not direct the hot air on the plastic long enough to melt or get extemely hot.

Just to the point where its very very warm to the touch and pliable. Then just use your fingers and use firm pressure and rub out the scratches.

For deep scratches you may need to fill the area, so this technique will not completely take them out, but will improve the scratch tremendously.

Or another site:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7443760_remo...nside-car.html
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
I'm theorizing that the heat expands the plastic to "lift" the scratches out. When it cools down, no more scratches. Of course, these are very light scratches and I'm being very anal about it, but by God its my truck!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Think you're out of luck on the plastic .
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Never used it on the truck...but have done it on other things/vehicles. Not a cure all and every situation/scratch is different. I got my info online...
Taken off a forum....

This is for minor scratches:

Heat the area, be cautious to not get to close to melt the plastic. Then you just rub them out with your fingers by applying firm pressure while its hot and they disappear.

If you are unsure try a kick panel first, you will see how it works. As far as the Dash, be very careful, since it has a textured surface.

Again, take a heat gun or hair dryer and heat up the scratch. Do a little section at a time.

Do not, I repeat, do not direct the hot air on the plastic long enough to melt or get extemely hot.

Just to the point where its very very warm to the touch and pliable. Then just use your fingers and use firm pressure and rub out the scratches.

For deep scratches you may need to fill the area, so this technique will not completely take them out, but will improve the scratch tremendously.

Or another site:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7443760_remo...nside-car.html
Ok. Thanks for the help!