Notices

Need advice on bad rock chips

Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
WheelinJ91 will become famous soon enough
Name: John
WheelinJ91's Tacoma Gallery
Need advice on bad rock chips

Hey all,

So i washed my truck yesterday, and then last night when i went to get in my truck i happened to notice 2 good rock chips on my hood, they are right down to metal, and one for sure actually dented my hood.

Im sure i have a few more that i didnt notice.

You can also see them from inside the truck.

Anyhow as im now worried about rust, what is my best plan of action?

Do dealerships do body work such as getting the small dent out and repainting?

If so should i go to them first?

Or should i look at a autobody shop?

or any other advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Bump
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Any Advice ? Someone has to have had this happen to them.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I had quite a few rock chips on my hood and I finally broke down and bought the Dr. Colorchip repair kit. I filled them in last week and they look pretty good. The kit was sort of expensive for touch up paint but easy to use and seemed to blend in very well. The areas that were down the metel still have a little dimple in the paint because the new paint wasn't as thick as the old but I think I can take care of that with a second or third layer.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Take the truck to a body shop and/or a few paint shops. Ask them and get a quote of how much it'll cost to repair.

Another option - I use http://www.langka.com/
I use this stuff primarily because I don't have a lot of time to do a full blown repair.

Another option - research online how to do a DIY repair for large chips and such. There are other more lengthy and time consuming ways....just depends on what you're preference is.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Thanks. I still wonder if dealerships do repairs like that, and i think i got the paint coverage but im unsure if this is over and above coverage like that?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinJ91 View Post
Thanks. I still wonder if dealerships do repairs like that, and i think i got the paint coverage but im unsure if this is over and above coverage like that?
The only way you're gonna find out, is dive into your paperwork and read the details FIRST and then go to the dealer and ask them. Get it covered under warranty or get a quote.

Dealerships will either have their own paint shop (not usually located at the same building) or they have a paint shop they contract all the work to.

Professional paint chip repair isn't cheap...that's why I personally go with the over-the-counter method. I could use that money elsewhere.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Dr. colorchip for the win!