Notices

3M vinyl protector

Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Tacoma Tim is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
Tacoma Tim's Tacoma Gallery
3M vinyl protector

Hi,

Is there any way I can clean up the clear stone protection material that's put on at the facotry? You find it just ahead of the rear wheels and other various places. Living in Florida with the high humidity, my 2011 Tacoma TRD is growing black around the edges of this material. Or is my best bet to just remove all together?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Pay for a clear bra guy to remove it and reapply.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Tim View Post
Hi,

Is there any way I can clean up the clear stone protection material that's put on at the facotry? You find it just ahead of the rear wheels and other various places. Living in Florida with the high humidity, my 2011 Tacoma TRD is growing black around the edges of this material. Or is my best bet to just remove all together?
Use isopropyl alcohol give it a wipe if it is still stuck to the edge use a toothpick.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
shoeless is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
shoeless's Tacoma Gallery
Hoping for some advice regarding this as well.
Ive found a few threads discussing removal of sap, emblem residue, etc, but nothing relating to the 3m protectant.

So, I just picked up my 2003 Taco(yesssss)! My only gripe is this protectant needs to go. Its not just collecting dirt around the edges though. The years and weather have taken their toll and it is all cracked and filthy.
I tried Goo Gone but didnt phase it.
Any suggestions?!
Also, would it be advised that I replace the clear protectant after removal?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
joeyha is on a distinguished road

Name: Joey
joeyha's Tacoma Gallery
Try and clay bar along the dark edges.

Be sure to lubricate the area very well with a quick detailer and rub the clay along the affected line.

If this doesnt work, the dirt is most likely stuck on the back side (sticky side) of the wrap. If that's the case you could either get someone to trim the dirty line a 1/8" or remove the wrap all together. But I think those wraps are a good investment FWIW.