Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Herculiner - Anyone have experience?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jarid
JRod4928's Tacoma Gallery
Herculiner - Anyone have experience?

Thinking of buying some step bars and Herculining them myself to provide long lasting rust prevention to the steel step bars (not stainless).

I've priced getting them Line-X'ed, it's about $200. So if I can get almost the same results for less than 1/2 the cost, I'd like to do that.

Does anyone have experience with Herculiner? Does it look professional and does it work well as a rust preventer? Will it last if proper surface prep is done?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
I did my truck bed with it and in no time it faded to a dark grey color and you get black shit all over you when you rub against. My advice, pay the extra money and get it done professionaly or you will be kicking yourself in the ass later.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
RSC17 has a spectacular aura aboutRSC17 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Rick
RSC17's Tacoma Gallery
Herculined the tub in my Jeep and it didn't hold up well at all. Wish I would of went with a better product and not used what was on sale. I prepped it correctly as well.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
x2, I'd get the line-x but I've heard good results on raptor liner as well though. It's really hard (if not impossible) to make herculiner look 'professional'. Getting the texture consistent and not clump together when applying it can be a challenege.
I use herculiner on my armor but only because it was relatively cheap and when I tear it up on the rocks it's easy to touch up.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
x2, I'd get the line-x but I've heard good results on raptor liner as well though. It's really hard (if not impossible) to make herculiner look 'professional'. Getting the texture consistent and not clump together when applying it can be a challenege.
I use herculiner on my armor but only because it was relatively cheap and when I tear it up on the rocks it's easy to touch up.

Does anyone know if Raptor Liner clumps up like Herculiner?

I've noticed pictures of Herculiner applications looking really clumped up too... Looks like crap IMO, but maybe using a spray gun instead of the roller would help?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
The bad part about herculiner is that there is no UV protectant in it so it will fade and break down over time. I just used rustoleum rattle can truck bed coating on the floor of my boat and it seems to be pretty good. Its no rubberized just a rough textured paint. Pretty slip resistant.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
AFAIK, you can't use herculiner in a spray gun. The texturing is quite heavy/chunky (looks like bits of polyurethane foam I guess) and you have to mix it frequently to maintain any consistency.

As far as the UV damage, it hasn't been much of an issue. As soon as I herculined my hood, I put down a coat of spray paint and it has held up pretty good.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I prepped & sprayed my raptor bars after one winter in Vermont.
Originally they were black powder coated.
I used Rustoleum Bed Coating spray (two light coats) after sanding them down & using a rust inhibitor primer.
I also scuffed up the plastic steps & sprayed them.
No chips & I can touch it up anyway with a brush if it does.
They still look really good & have held up well after almost 7 months.
Here are before & after pics.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
I prepped & sprayed my raptor bars after one winter in Vermont.
Originally they were black powder coated.
I used Rustoleum Bed Coating spray (two light coats) after sanding them down & using a rust inhibitor primer.
I also scuffed up the plastic steps & sprayed them.
No chips & I can touch it up anyway with a brush if it does.
They still look really good & have held up well after almost 7 months.
Here are before & after pics.

That looks pretty good! How easy do they chip or scratch now? Think they'll hold up to winter chemicals? Haven't thought about rustoleum...
Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
75PSI or bust!
xmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
xmadcowx's Tacoma Gallery
Put 3 coats on my front bumper and on my skids...this stuff isn't going anywhere. Also put a coat of paint over it to hopefully prevent/resist fading in the Florida sun

Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
I did my truck bed with it and in no time it faded to a dark grey color and you get black shit all over you when you rub against. My advice, pay the extra money and get it done professionaly or you will be kicking yourself in the ass later.
totally agree.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
totally agree.

Still not out of the question. And that's definitely the right way to do it.

Though, I'm tempted to try raptor liner to see how it holds up this winter. If it doesnt hold up and I have to go get them Line-X'ed, then I wasted $50-75 on an experiment, and if it does hold up, then I saved $125-150.

Afterall, they only need to hold up until Dec. 21 2012 (Mayans)....
Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod4928 View Post
That looks pretty good! How easy do they chip or scratch now? Think they'll hold up to winter chemicals? Haven't thought about rustoleum...
They haven't chipped or scratched whatsoever. Really not much fade either.
I have used a powerwasher in DIY car wash w/o any problems even on the plastic.
one light coat of the rust inhibitor & two light coats of the bed coating.
I bought this little nifty hand spray gadget that pops on top of the can so it made it easy stay easy on the trigger.
It was hanging in Lowe's paint section for like $6 & 4 cans of spray, 1 can of RH & military discount less than $40
Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmadcowx View Post
Put 3 coats on my front bumper and on my skids...this stuff isn't going anywhere. Also put a coat of paint over it to hopefully prevent/resist fading in the Florida sun

Man that bumper is sick! I want one
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've done my 96 tacoma truck bed.... my 96 tacoma rocksliders.... A 92 Jeep tub and a 94 Jeep tub.

For what it is, I'd do it again - depending on the situation.

On my 96 truck bed - I had a tonneau cover on it. It lasted a good 4 years when not exposed to the weather. If you drag heavy objects on it, it will scrape off. Touch ups are EASY. I had it 'over the rails' - and the stuff that was exposed to the weather wore off after a couple years. I had to buy more and re-paint it. No big deal... When you repaint it, there's no prep work. Just paint...easy.

On my 96 Square tube rock sliders - This was also exposed to the weather. I never fully prepped the flat steal, and that's where it would peel up. If you apply it to flat steal - make sure you either paint the surface first and scuff the paint OR scuff the steal somehow so the Herculiner has something to stick to.

92 & 94 Jeep Tubs: This was actually one of the best things I did to the jeep. With proper prep work (the jeep tub was completely bare when we prepped it) ...this stayed nice for years. It never got thin and I never had to re-apply it.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
student, land scaper, toyota fanatic
motostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant futuremotostar00 has a brilliant future
Name: Ryan
motostar00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
AFAIK, you can't use herculiner in a spray gun. The texturing is quite heavy/chunky (looks like bits of polyurethane foam I guess) and you have to mix it frequently to maintain any consistency.

As far as the UV damage, it hasn't been much of an issue. As soon as I herculined my hood, I put down a coat of spray paint and it has held up pretty good.

if you use a spray gun you have to dilute the herculiner by 10% with some kind of paint thinner. It can be done though. I have herculined the rocker pannels on the past 2 tacomas I have had and i love it. although it does fade over time, it is tough, easy to touch up, and cheap. but when it fades you can put any kind of tire wet on it to bring it back out.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motostar00 View Post
but when it fades you can put any kind of tire wet on it to bring it back out.
Don't apply tire-wet to surfaces that you'll step on..... it'll make the surface slippery as snot!!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #20
Willie64
willie64 is on a distinguished road

Name: willie64
willie64's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motostar00 View Post
if you use a spray gun you have to dilute the herculiner by 10% with some kind of paint thinner. It can be done though. I have herculined the rocker pannels on the past 2 tacomas I have had and i love it. although it does fade over time, it is tough, easy to touch up, and cheap. but when it fades you can put any kind of tire wet on it to bring it back out.
What kind of spray gun? I'm about to redo my rocker panels b/c I rolled on my Herculiner (chunky style) and the edges were rather sloppy. Bought a can of Rustolium (smooth style) to touch up the edges but the first trail and limb ripped a big part of the Rusto off. So, I'm thinking about a re-do and spraying a good edge but I don't want to deal with the clog factor [I like the more 'chunky' look of the Hurculiner and it's worked great on the front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Herculiner - Anyone have experience?-img_20121013_165109.jpg