Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Winter washing

Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
Winter washing

Does anyone have any recommendations for long gloves or any other tools out there to make washing my truck in the winter more pleasant? I will clean her once a week regardless of the weather, but it sure does get miserable for a couple months.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My advice... Is hurry!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
Those yellow rubber cleaning gloves seem clutch
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
A guy on the Legacy forum I used to frequent, ran a hot water line to his exterior faucet and coupled it with the regular tap line... added a way to blend the two and make warm, or very warm water come out the faucet. He also put a shut off valve on the hot water line, so it could just be normal tap water in the summer.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

I've thought about that ^^. Does anyone know if hot water will degrade the wax faster?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I just use hot water for the soap bucket and cold hose water for the rinse. I can't wash every week in the winter up here, it's too cold. I wait for a 40 degree day and do it then.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What's wrong with the automatic car washes? I go through them then go park inside to let it dry so my doors don't freeze shut
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
I've thought about that ^^. Does anyone know if hot water will degrade the wax faster?
It should have no bearing on it IMO
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Rich
Dirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rich
Dirty Jersey's Tacoma Gallery
I would never use the car wash, due to recycled water. I just clay bared and put 2 coats of Collinite wax on. That will protect my truck through the winter from salt, then maybe every 2 weeks ill get out on a nicer day and try to wash her and dry her as fast and good as I can.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for long gloves .
*stolen from Ghost's new avy*

Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
trunk monkey
thatguy0o0 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Matt
thatguy0o0's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I just clayed and waxed mine so I am hoping that it holds everything off until it warms up a bit. I am open for recommendations too so, I will be checking in for advice from the hardcore detailer's out there.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Neoprene gloves, like for duck hunters would work great. I usually wear them to snag decoys so i dont get my hands wet. You could just go to car wash and use spray wand and foaming brush and the you wouldnt have to get hands wet at all.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex View Post
I lol'd ^^^^
I lol'd a lot
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Rsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Rsoxfan1's Tacoma Gallery
ONR......
Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #16

I'm considering it. Must admit I'm a little hesitant.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I just use hot water for the soap bucket and cold hose water for the rinse. I can't wash every week in the winter up here, it's too cold. I wait for a 40 degree day and do it then.
^ This. And if too cold, I hit up the do it yourself place to rinse off the salt.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
^ This. And if too cold, I hit up the do it yourself place to rinse off the salt.

This.. the ones I go to all use warm/hot water...
Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapcinq View Post
This.. the ones I go to all use warm/hot water...
Ya, same here. I still gets some ice here and there, but better than letting the salt sit on it. Sometimes the bay gets interesting as you do it, by time I'm done, slipping and sliding all over the place.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
A guy on the Legacy forum I used to frequent, ran a hot water line to his exterior faucet and coupled it with the regular tap line... added a way to blend the two and make warm, or very warm water come out the faucet. He also put a shut off valve on the hot water line, so it could just be normal tap water in the summer.
Quote:

I've got a hot water spigot at my house right beside a cold water spigot. I connect short hoses to both with a Y connector to the hose that runs to the driveway. Run enough hot water to make it bearable. Yeah, I know I'm in Atlanta, but I had the same set up when I lived in upstate NY.

As far as degrading the wax, I apply the spray on type as I dry between regular paste wax applications, so I don't really notice a lack of wax feel to the surface of the truck.

Good luck.