Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cleaning the engine bay?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
Old Man
dwsyab is on a distinguished road

Name: David
dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
I would certainly be concerned with keeping water away from the air intake and fuse box but I have routinely ( for 30 years) sprayed off the battery when cleaning the engine compartment without experiencing any problems. As far as the alternator, I have gone so far as to thoroughly hose them out once or twice when they became caked with mud; again no problems. I don't use a pressure washer, just a garden hose. Sometimes I use a commercial degreaser, sometimes just plain water. Sometimes the engine is cold, sometimes hot, and sometimes while its running but always start it up and keep it running to dry things out. The only time I has a starting issue was due to a worn out spark plug wire creating a short and very rough running and stalling engine. Just get a buddy to hold onto them one at a time while you crank the engine and when you see him fly across the room you know you found the bad wire!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #22
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
If I do any mudding I take it in and have it professional cleaned, then just maintain the keep up with simple green and a damp towel.

If that isn't an option, a pressure washer is a useful tool to clean engine bays. Just keep the pressure low.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
So is hosing the engine bay a bad thing? After I hosed mine down im experiencing difficulty starting up. I have manual tranny and when I turn the key to turn it on sometimes nothing happens, as if I never held the clutch in. Im wondering if wires got messed up by the water? Can someone chime in. thanks
Mine has been doing that for 10k miles. I think it comes from water/mud getting in the starter. I rarely hose my engine bay out but I do regularly drive through deep water, and it was after driving through such water for the first time that my truck began having the starting issues. Pump the clutch once or twice and it starts right up every time. I still need to invest in a better splash guard for my starter though.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #24
CeRaTi
Rakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: OsKaR
Rakso's Tacoma Gallery
I've done it with garden hose and the gun they sell for watering. Had no issues. I Wouldn't use any pressured water.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #25
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully going to be doing this soon, if anyone has any new tips or products since this thread was created, thatd be great, thanks.