Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cleaning the engine bay?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning the engine bay?

Whats the best way to go about cleaning the engine bay? Mines covered in crap from mud splashing up into there. I've already spraid it with the hose (engine on, as I've heard to do) but I've still got water marks and shit all over my engine and bottom of my hood. Call it OCD but I want it to look as clean as I can in there....
Old 01-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
I learned the hard way, the best way to clean is by using the damp towel from drying your truck after a wash.

You dont want water in/on your pulleys, and especially your alternator.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
The engine cleaner made by Gunk seems to leave less of the white garbage behind.

I got one of those RV water filters, the type made to go between a camper and a RV park water tap and put it between my house spigot and pressure washer goes-inner. No more water spots. They're quite cheap at Home Desperate.

brianr raises a good point, cover that alternator before you spray! You have an 05 so no distributor to worry about.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Ry1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRy1984 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Machinery Technician
Ry1984's Tacoma Gallery
toothbrush and simple green or any degreaser. but toothbrush works great then wipe clean. I have OCD in the engine bay to
Old 01-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Speaking of cleaning the engine. Anyone else with a hood scoop get water spots from leakage through the scoop?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Speaking of cleaning the engine. Anyone else with a hood scoop get water spots from leakage through the scoop?
Brianr does. He used silicone to try and seal it off.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Brianr does. He used silicone to try and seal it off.
Yeah I was thinking about doing something like that.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Yeah I was thinking about doing something like that.
he still has some leaks, but hes working on a fix. You may want to keep in touch with him to check his progress.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
he still has some leaks, but hes working on a fix. You may want to keep in touch with him to check his progress.
Yeah I'll do that. Thanks chris!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Don't the dealerships use high pressure steam to clean the engine bays? I thought I heard that some where.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
I just cleaned the engine bay the other day after my trip out to Death Valley. Wow, it was filthy! I used (I think it's called) Foamy Engine Bright. After you hose it all off, use a leaf blower to get all the water off. Works pretty good if you don't have an air compressor like me.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
So is hosing the engine bay a bad thing? After I hosed mine down im experiencing difficulty starting up. I have manual tranny and when I turn the key to turn it on sometimes nothing happens, as if I never held the clutch in. Im wondering if wires got messed up by the water? Can someone chime in. thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
id put a bag over the battery and spray the whole engine and under the hood while keeping away from those areas with electrical wires...id recommend keeping the engine incase u do get water in some bad spots it can just dry it up depending how many u sprayed. after spraying engine with a pressure washer i soak it in degreaser and let it sit then spray it off again and dry everything. now put some dressing on it and whipe it down good
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i just usually hose it down. Ive never used any of that engine brite stuff. Id imagine some good soap and water would be good, with that water filter mentioned above tapped inline on your hose.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i always pressure wash mine......staying away from the alternator....all while the engine is running, and never spray in one spot too long. i have never had a problem with this method.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i always pressure wash mine......staying away from the alternator....all while the engine is running, and never spray in one spot too long. i have never had a problem with this method.
X2
Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #18
martycz is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
martycz's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just wondering what the reasoning is behind having the engine running while hosing down the engine. Can anyone explain please? Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by martycz View Post
I'm just wondering what the reasoning is behind having the engine running while hosing down the engine. Can anyone explain please? Thanks
I was told that you keep the engine running so if water gets into someplace it shouldnt be, the engine heat will help it dry quicker. Also, if water gets into the alt., with the engine running, the alt. fan will help to blow the water out of it.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #20
Bernie is on a distinguished road
Army: 1st Bn 83rd Arty Vietnam 66-67
Bernie's Tacoma Gallery
Like in the Army, soak the rag in diesel oil, ring it out and just wipe clean. If you pass a military inspection with this it will look as new.