Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Clay bar Steps please.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Clay bar Steps please.

What the detailed steps for clay bar a vheilce thankyou.

1.Wash
Clay
Wash
Wax

2. wash
clay
wax
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
wash
clay
polish
wax
Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
TacoCBR is on a distinguished road

TacoCBR's Tacoma Gallery
Wash. Don't dry.

Use quick detailer along with the left over water as lubricant for the clay process.

Step 2 wax.

Step 3 wax/carnuba

I use Mother's on all my vehicles. Can't go wrong.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
wash
clay
polish
wax
x2, although you can skip the polish step if you have a light color or don't care about the fine scratches the clay leaves.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks everyone
Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
I'm surprised at everyone suggesting to go right to wax or polish after claying. I would suggest a quick re-wash to remove the clay lube. Only takes an extra 10 minutes
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Hot Steppa

that what i was thinking so what the proper way do you rewash with like how you normally wash your car or do you just wash it down with water.

How long you guys guess it take for the whole process?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm surprised at everyone suggesting to go right to wax or polish after claying. I would suggest a quick re-wash to remove the clay lube.
I don't think a complete re-wash is necessary since obviously a rinse and dry before polish would be involved which removes any lubricant used but I can see what you a referring to if you are worried the lubricant would leave any residual that a polish wouldn't remove.

Dish soap in water works as a clay bar lubricant as well. If I am going to do a complete wash clay polish wax I use dish soap to wash and use dish soap and water to lubricate the clay bar.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I'm surprised at everyone suggesting to go right to wax or polish after claying. I would suggest a quick re-wash to remove the clay lube. Only takes an extra 10 minutes
I use quick detailer as my clay lube which in many cases is what I clean my truck with (when it doesn't rain).

As I clay I wipe the panels dry with a clean microfiber so they are perfectly clean when I'm done. If they start to dry during the process, I use a little more detailer.

I agree that if there is anything left on the surface it should be cleaned before waxing. I had my process stuck in my head but realize that's not how everyone does it!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #11
Hot Steppa

when you clay do you use half the bar for the top and the other for the bottom or just one piece. Also some comes with 2 so save for another car?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I don't think a complete re-wash is necessary since obviously a rinse and dry before polish would be involved which removes any lubricant used but I can see what you a referring to if you are worried the lubricant would leave any residual that a polish wouldn't remove.

Dish soap in water works as a clay bar lubricant as well. If I am going to do a complete wash clay polish wax I use dish soap to wash and use dish soap and water to lubricate the clay bar.
Use auto wash soap NOT dish soap. You do not want to use dish soap on your paint.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
when you clay do you use half the bar for the top and the other for the bottom or just one piece. Also some comes with 2 so save for another car?
Depending on the size of the bar, I typically tear it in half. Each time you do a section (1x1', 2x2', whatever), you'll want to roll and knead the clay to keep as clean of a section as possible. Like anything that touches the paint, you ideally want the least amount of contaminents as possible to touch the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Use auto wash soap NOT dish soap. You do not want to use dish soap on your paint.
Not so much the paint as it is the mouldings and trim.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #14

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
that what i was thinking so what the proper way do you rewash with like how you normally wash your car or do you just wash it down with water.

How long you guys guess it take for the whole process?
Depends how proficient you are at detailing. The more you do it, the quicker it generally becomes b/c you're more familiar w/ the product you're using and you develop a routine.
Time...well...that all depends. How bad is the vehicle? I can do a new car faster than a 15 year old daily driver that's never seen a coat of wax. Last step product? Opti-Seal is significantly faster than using something like...476.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post

Yea, all I'm saying is that the vehicle should be rinsed/washed/whatever before moving on to the next step. Reduces the chance of any "oh shit" moments
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
I also say wash after claying/polishing. At the minimum an iso alcohol wipe down. Check out autopia.org
Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
dessertsand05 is a jewel in the roughdessertsand05 is a jewel in the roughdessertsand05 is a jewel in the roughdessertsand05 is a jewel in the rough
Firefighter:
dessertsand05's Tacoma Gallery
So what are you accomplishing by the second wash?

Doesn't extra wax get removed when you apply and remove the polish wax?

So if you follow the ask a detailer sticky, you would....

Wash (dont dry off if you clay bar, right?)
Clay with quick detailer, rub off after?
Wash again and then towel dry
Polish (colorX)
Seal

When in this process would you use the scratchX on the trouble spots?

I have been following the ask a detailer process for two years now, but starting to think claying the truck 2-3 times a year isnt doing much anymore as the paint is kept in shape. Just wondering how many of theses steps are redundant and not always needed, all the various waxes I use say they do the same thing on the bottle. Am I just apply 3 coats of similar waxes on the same day?

Would like to understand more of whats going on with all these steps. Truck does come out amazing :-)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
conquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura about

conquistador's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertsand05 View Post
So what are you accomplishing by the second wash?

Doesn't extra wax get removed when you apply and remove the polish wax?

So if you follow the ask a detailer sticky, you would....

Wash (dont dry off if you clay bar, right?)
Clay with quick detailer, rub off after?
Wash again and then towel dry
Polish (colorX)
Seal

When in this process would you use the scratchX on the trouble spots?

I have been following the ask a detailer process for two years now, but starting to think claying the truck 2-3 times a year isnt doing much anymore as the paint is kept in shape. Just wondering how many of theses steps are redundant and not always needed, all the various waxes I use say they do the same thing on the bottle. Am I just apply 3 coats of similar waxes on the same day?

Would like to understand more of whats going on with all these steps. Truck does come out amazing :-)

Checkout this site http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

This my go to on detailing tips, techniques, and supplies