1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dirt and leaves trapped behind the front fenders

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by zaqxsw, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Nov 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    zaqxsw

zaqxsw [OP] New Member

Member:
    First post! I've had my 2008 regular cab 4 cyl Tacoma for almost a year now. Bought it primarily to pull a 2000# boat rig.

I noticed some dripping coming from behind the front tires, at the bottom of the fender, right before the rocker panel. Got a finger up under the wheel well cover and found a bunch of wet crud trapped in the bottom rear of the front fenders. Same on the other side.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to clean this out, or prevent it in the first place? It's got to be a rust starter!

Thanks for any replies!

2. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    I have heard people call that spot a dog leg or something weird like that. If you have a compressor, open the front doors and blow that stuff out. You can loosen the inner fender well to get in there good.

My wifes sienna has tons of shit packed in there. Leaves and stuff from the hood/cowl area. Only way to get in there is through the fender on that one.

Good luck

3. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    You can peel the rubber strip up enough to get a shop vac in there. once you get most of the crud out, I hit it with a garden hose. All is well.

4. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    Open your door(s). Look at the lower front door jamb on the fender where the hinges are attached. You will see a rubber inset gasket. Peel that back and pull all the sh*t out with long nose needle nose pliers. Then blow it out. Re-pop the gasket into place.

That's what I did.

5. Nov 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That crap is dropping down from the cowl area.

6. Nov 28, 2012 at 3:22 AM
    zaqxsw

zaqxsw [OP] New Member

Member:
    Great replies! Thanks!

Yes, I agree this stuff is coming down from the cowling. The truck sits outside as my boat gets to stay inside. Leaves and stuff gets blown onto the truck all of the time.

It sounds like the best access is through the open front doors. I saw the rubber/vinyl cover for this nook or "dog leg". Do you pull it out? Does it pull out from the bottom or top, and does the whole cover come out?

Thanks again folks!

7. Nov 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    Ya, simply pull it out from the bottom and lift it up. You don't have to remove it entirely.

... the drain holes on each side of the upper plastic hood valance that's under the window drain down into those voids, which in turn are supposed to purge the water out of the drain holes that are under the fender. Great concept... but someone forgot that the organic component of Mother Nature is involved too. A lot of debris is collected there. Once the debris and detrius are removed, don't forget to soak the whole inside of the fender area with Rust Chek.

I pointed out that little cubby-hole to the tech when I had my new truck sprayed right after purchase. He didn't know that void existed and that the access through the gasket was there.

I have my trucks sprayed yearly, and follow that up with my own applications of Rust Chek in a rattle can throughout the seasons 'til the next spray. My '08 didn't have a speck of rust anywhere, nor will this one...

... ever!

Products Discussed in

To Top