LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

GLOSSY painted fender flares

Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
notbrigum will become famous soon enough

notbrigum's Tacoma Gallery
GLOSSY painted fender flares

Might seem like a waste of money but I didn't like the texture and subtle color difference on the fender flares so I had them removed and repainted. If you look closely at your fender flares, there is a subtle texture on them. It's the same texture that is on the front bumper cover. I have the Impulse Red color. The texture caused the flares and bumper to look almost orangey-red in bright light, didn't match the color or texture of the surrounding sheetmetal. A bodyshop I've used before removed them and put two additional coats of factory paint on them. The rough texture is covered over and they now look like the surrounding sheetmetal. Very glossy. Very nice. Very subtle. Probably very few people would ever notice. When it went in last week for it's first oil change, the dealer service writer asked why it looked so clean during the walk around.
Just an idea if anyone else is more than a little picky about how the body matches/looks. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
GLOSSY painted fender flares-tacoma-three-quarter.jpg  
Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Very Nice ^^
I noticed what you are talking about & when my new bumper skin got painted when I hit black ice last year, the new one looks soooo much better than the factory. Hard to keep anything clean where I live, but yours is glossy & super clean! Nice truck!!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
notbrigum will become famous soon enough

notbrigum's Tacoma Gallery
The factory flares and bumper covers should be black rubber'ish matterial. they should all have a very mild texture to them. I think.. one coat of paint is normal. You see quite a bit of the texture through it and get the 'factory' look. If you squirt more layers of paint on it, you simply cover the texture. I'm thinking.. of pulling my front cover off too and having another layer of paint put on. Prob not but who knows.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
The Not So New guy
ComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura about

Name: Drew
ComaTosin's Tacoma Gallery
i had some paint work done and while it was there i also asked themt o do the same thing you did. I like the looks better but agree - most people would not notice.......