Notices

Best badge attaching tape

Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
krause is on a distinguished road

Navy: Petty Officer 3rd class
Name: Matt
krause's Tacoma Gallery
Best badge attaching tape

There's been several posts about it, but I'm planning on blacking out the badges on my Taco, and wanted to get a better idea of the best tape to use, i.e. slimmest tape, stickiest, so on and so forth. Also, which paint is better? Plasti-dip, or Krylon's plastic bonding?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krause View Post
There's been several posts about it, but I'm planning on blacking out the badges on my Taco, and wanted to get a better idea of the best tape to use, i.e. slimmest tape, stickiest, so on and so forth. Also, which paint is better? Plasti-dip, or Krylon's plastic bonding?

Thanks!
personally i debadged mine but i plasti-dipped my wifes mazda emblems and came out great and the plasti-dip is easiest because you dont have to worry about all the tape... youtube how to plastidip emblems its pretty much fool proof! good luck
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I used the thick 3m tape with the foam

It worked really well, i just stuck two long strips to the back of the emblems before paiting. Cut of the excess around the letters with a razor, then painted, clear coat, peeled the backing off and stuck it to the truck, used a hairdryer and some pressure and they are on there pretty solid. I used krylon plastic fusion, barely any prep work just cleaned the badges really well
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Tape: 3M
Blacked: Plasti-Dip (adheres better than any paint, won't chip like paint can/will, and can be removed completely)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #6

krause's Tacoma Gallery
What about sanding or prep work with the plasti-dip?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What about sanding or prep work with the plasti-dip?
Just clean it really well. Plasti dip is meant to be able to peel off i you want it to.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #8

krause's Tacoma Gallery
Now my bigger issue is: Do I cut the MA off of Tacoma? I know it's a personal preference, I'm just hoping for some opinions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Pabst knows best
banditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
banditstpk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I used the thick 3m tape with the foam
ive used this stuff to pull out dents on my car
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Now my bigger issue is: Do I cut the MA off of Tacoma? I know it's a personal preference, I'm just hoping for some opinions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
You havnt done it yet? My opinion would be no. Dont make the tacoma badge a taco badge.