1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best badge attaching tape

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by krause, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    krause

krause [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Norfolk
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    3" spacer lift, K&N cold air intake, Magnaflow catback exhaust, blackrock 17" rims, 32" tires (retread) brushguard, kicker subwoofer, pioneer head unit
    There's been several posts about it, but I'm planning on blacking out the badges on my Taco, and wanted to get a better idea of the best tape to use, i.e. slimmest tape, stickiest, so on and so forth. Also, which paint is better? Plasti-dip, or Krylon's plastic bonding?

Thanks!

2. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    kevinsc

kevinsc 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Lexington, south carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    chrome on front painted to match, satoshi grill done by myself, BHLM, billys all the way around with ome springs upfront and LR ucas with wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack in the rear, mb gunner wheels powdercoated black on 285/75r16 nitto trail grapplers, tinted all the way around and on windshield, pioneer dbl din touch screen with two 10's behing the seat and new speakers all the way around and certain interior parts painted to match, also have a road wire leather kit black with red stitching sitting here waiting for me to find time to install it!
    personally i debadged mine but i plasti-dipped my wifes mazda emblems and came out great and the plasti-dip is easiest because you dont have to worry about all the tape... youtube how to plastidip emblems its pretty much fool proof! good luck

3. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    I used krylon fusion & 3m tape like the stuff on vent visors. I've seen guys use plasti dip & they don't take off the badges. They just tape around it, spray then peel the excess off.

4. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I used the thick 3m tape with the foam
    y8a6eje6_d29c1218e249ae37a85b99cfb19c065ad1058b7f.jpg
    It worked really well, i just stuck two long strips to the back of the emblems before paiting. Cut of the excess around the letters with a razor, then painted, clear coat, peeled the backing off and stuck it to the truck, used a hairdryer and some pressure and they are on there pretty solid. I used krylon plastic fusion, barely any prep work just cleaned the badges really well

5. Dec 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Tape: 3M
    Blacked: Plasti-Dip (adheres better than any paint, won't chip like paint can/will, and can be removed completely)

6. Dec 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    krause

krause [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Norfolk
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    3" spacer lift, K&N cold air intake, Magnaflow catback exhaust, blackrock 17" rims, 32" tires (retread) brushguard, kicker subwoofer, pioneer head unit
    What about sanding or prep work with the plasti-dip?

7. Dec 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Just clean it really well. Plasti dip is meant to be able to peel off i you want it to.

8. Jan 30, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    krause

krause [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Norfolk
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    Now my bigger issue is: Do I cut the MA off of Tacoma? I know it's a personal preference, I'm just hoping for some opinions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

9. Jan 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    banditstpk

banditstpk Pabst knows best

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    buckeye arizona
    Vehicle:
    00 3.4L PreRunner TRD SR5 Xtracab
    deck plate, led lights interior, center hubs painted black,
    ive used this stuff to pull out dents on my car :D

10. Jan 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    You havnt done it yet? My opinion would be no. Dont make the tacoma badge a taco badge.

Products Discussed in

To Top