1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cleaning/Restoring Stock Wheels

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by WThomas1250, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Dec 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've had my 98 for about a year now, and I'm starting to get sick of the crappy-looking wheels.
    The guy I bought it from (original owner) hadn't bothered to clean the truck in years, so there's at least 10 years-worth of brake dust/ road grime/ mud/ etc. stained on the stock wheels. I use wheel cleaner every couple of weeks, but the dark stains and chips are still there :mad:
    I'm wondering what I should use to get the stains off, does anyone know of any heavy-duty cleaners, chemicals, etc?

2. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
    Are they painted or polished? You could use some compound followed by polish to see if you can get down to the stains. There are some primers that have filling properties to help with the chips if you plan on painting them. Just a thought, I'm no professional. A cheap sandblaster would be nice too!

3. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    conquistador

conquistador Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    88 4Runner
  4. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Yeah, your best bet is probably a professional refinish. Powder coat would make em pretty again. Being neglected that long, there maybe no coming back from that. Keep us posted on what route you go. Oh and maybe post some pics if them as they are, maybe someone has a better solution.

5. Dec 8, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'll try to get some pics up today. A friend of mine said that oven cleaner might help, so I may try that. Thanks guys

6. Dec 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    Jrose

Jrose Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    BC
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7l 4x4 SR5
    Tires, for now
    mine were the same, super dirty, hadn't been cleaned in years. I wanted to clean them real well before i painted them, I tried wheel cleaner and sandpaper, didn't do anything. Ended up just using wire wheels on a drill, which worked but took the stock finish off. All said and done, 4 wheels was a 2 day project

7. Jan 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    yeah I'd recommend a complete refinish, perhaps a color change :p ? Get metal sandpaper from O'reilly's (or wherever I guess) it's got grit like a cheese grader and will tear thru all that caked on shit as well as the clear coat so you can get some good fresh coats in

Products Discussed in

To Top