Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Anyone used Optimum OptiCoat 2.0 on their truck????

Old 12-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Przemek
Przemekmsu's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone used Optimum OptiCoat 2.0 on their truck????

Thinking about using Optimum OptiCoat 2.0 on my truck. Has any one used it on their truck. You guys like it or not???
Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
No one????????
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
ninernation is on a distinguished road
ninernation's Tacoma Gallery
For me its easier to just use optiseal and not worry about locking in imperfections or leveling.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
DMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to behold
DMS's Tacoma Gallery
Opti-coat is good stuff. I've used it....going on about 7 months now. Still beads water like the day I applied it. I've only used a spray detailer after washing to freshen up the finish. Only thing with the Opti-coat is that it doesn't have the same look as a nice sealant or wax.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
You can apply carnuba over it right? Then you can get protection and looks.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #6

Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
DMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to beholdDMS is a splendid one to behold
DMS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
You can...but supposedly it won't last long because the wax won't stick to the opti-coated finish. However, on my wife's car, which is also opti-coated, I have used Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant over the opti-coat. Seems to last a pretty decent amount of time.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
I've been applying opti-coat on client's cars for years and now have been using opti-guard for a number of months. What would you like to know?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanClaude View Post
I've been applying opti-coat on client's cars for years and now have been using opti-guard for a number of months. What would you like to know?

I am going with a black truck and I know how difficult they are to keep them clean. After applying the opti-coat and never waxing the truck will the truck look as good after wash as if it was just waxed????
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #10

I'm not so sure about NEVER waxing. Opticoat might look acceptable over time but nothing can replace the depth and reflection on a fresh wax job. That being said if you don't have the time or desire to detail your truck on a regular basis Opticoat is probably a good option.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Quote:
I'm not so sure about NEVER waxing. Opticoat might look acceptable over time but nothing can replace the depth and reflection on a fresh wax job. That being said if you don't have the time or desire to detail your truck on a regular basis Opticoat is probably a good option.
I have no problem with waxing my truck. I am just trying to figure out if this Opticoat is worth doing. I was told that you can't wax a car if the opticoat is applied to it. Wax won't stick to it.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Opti-guard is factory backed with a lifetime warranty(only authorized professionals may purchase/apply opti-guard). Opti-coat has made it 5+ years on cars without failure and I have not heard of a failure yet.

With that said, no clue if it will last 30 years but I believe that will be beyond reasonable life expectancy.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemekmsu View Post
I have no problem with waxing my truck. I am just trying to figure out if this Opticoat is worth doing. I was told that you can't wax a car if the opticoat is applied to it. Wax won't stick to it.
It is true that you will not need to wax. Wax will not bond to the surface.

I believe it is an awesome product and company. I am the most expensive detailer/paint correction expert in Georgia and probably the whole southeast and I whole heartedly back the company and those 2 products.

I will say this though. If you are not going to correct the surface to remove defects, it may not be a good fit for you. If the surface is in really good condition, maybe then...

One other piece of advice I will give is that if you are not familiar with the product, start with just one panel and see how you do. Don't rush the application and be willing to take as long as you need to. You don't want to have to remove it.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

Not waxing my truck would drive me up a wall!!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanClaude View Post
It is true that you will not need to wax. Wax will not bond to the surface.

I believe it is an awesome product and company. I am the most expensive detailer/paint correction expert in Georgia and probably the whole southeast and I whole heartedly back the company and those 2 products.

I will say this though. If you are not going to correct the surface to remove defects, it may not be a good fit for you. If the surface is in really good condition, maybe then...

One other piece of advice I will give is that if you are not familiar with the product, start with just one panel and see how you do. Don't rush the application and be willing to take as long as you need to. You don't want to have to remove it.
Well, the truck is going to be brand new from the dealership so there better not be any defects. Do you recommand anything to be applied to a truck after a wash??? a sealer or anything??? Or do I just wash it and dry it??
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #16

You better check in the bright sun. You would be suprised how many brand new vehicles have sap, overspray, buffer swirls, rail dust, etc. I would at least clay it before application. It sounds like you're doing the right thing by researching before you jump into anything. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemekmsu View Post
Well, the truck is going to be brand new from the dealership so there better not be any defects. Do you recommand anything to be applied to a truck after a wash??? a sealer or anything??? Or do I just wash it and dry it??
As someone who stands to gain nothing from this advice, I suggest you take it to a reputable detailer who is familiar with the product and pay him to install it. He can best advise you on your options.

But being new does not mean much by way of the paint condition prior to sealing it up for 5+ years.