LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Underbody Cleaning - especially in the winter?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Underbody Cleaning - especially in the winter?

I'm bored & up early so I thought I'd ask this question for the hell of it.....

Here in PA, there's not a lot of snow but a hell-of-a-lot of salt on the roads. The salt spray is more of a PITA than anything else. It's not uncommon to refill your windshield washer resevoir a couple times during the winter.

So - does anyone have the undersides of their trucks sprayed off in the winter? Any carwash places have that available and is it even worth it?

I hate car washes unless I do it myself. In the summer, I've actually put a rain suite on and rolled under my jeep to spray the mud off the underside. But then again, there's probably about 24+ or more of clearance under the frame.
Because the salt spray drives me crazy...I'd take the truck into an automated underbody wash just for peace of mind.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
salt on the roads? that's crazy talk, salt belongs on french fries.

I say you should wait for a warm day and then park over a sprinkler.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Janster, I do the self serve car wash every so often (once a week or so) weather permitting. The amount of salt & dirt that comes out of the wheel wells is amazing. It even hides behind the badges (good reason to debadge ) The crap ruined my popnlock even with the bestest of care..... salt sux! Unless of course its blizzard time and icy, than I love it. Can't win and Spring is in May for me. Lot of winter left.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
any good carwash place should have the jets of water that shoot up from the ground, theyre usually the first thing that the car goes through. i know what you mean about the salt, it drives me crazy. all the city workers care about is getting their overtime pay so they go around re-salting roads that clearly dont need it.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.staunproducts.com/chassisspa.php

Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Janster, I do the self serve car wash every so often (once a week or so) weather permitting. The amount of salt & dirt that comes out of the wheel wells is amazing. It even hides behind the badges (good reason to debadge ) The crap ruined my popnlock even with the bestest of care..... salt sux! Unless of course its blizzard time and icy, than I love it. Can't win and Spring is in May for me. Lot of winter left.
I've gone once this winter - it's just been too damn cold to even use the self serve washes. Any warmer chance I get, I'm usually busy doing something else. Oh well....This spring when the hose is thawed out, I'll just have to do a super cleaning of the underside and consider it good enough.

Isocoee - Yeah, I hear ya!! We don't get a whole lotta snow but they surely know how to dump the salt everywhere for just 1" of snow.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
There is a Lazer Automatic carwash that does a pretty good job of getting the undercarraige in Mill Hall (Fred knows). I use that a few times a winter. As a matter of fact I am due for one now.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
any good carwash place should have the jets of water that shoot up from the ground, theyre usually the first thing that the car goes through. i know what you mean about the salt, it drives me crazy. all the city workers care about is getting their overtime pay so they go around re-salting roads that clearly dont need it.
I sent an e-mail to our local Cloister. They didn't have anything listed for underbody cleaning - so we'll find out.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
There is a Lazer Automatic carwash that does a pretty good job of getting the undercarraige in Mill Hall (Fred knows). I use that a few times a winter. As a matter of fact I am due for one now.
yeah joey dicello used to own that and i would get free washes. no more though. i know as soon as spring hits the pickups going up on the lift and im power washing the whole under body.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Any time it warms up enough, I'll go to the carwash. I use the automatic touchless ones that just use high pressure soap/water. They usually have an undercarriage option. I've taken the Subaru a couple times already....including Superbowl Sunday when the temps were in the high 40's.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
You know, I sort of had an idea. What if you went to Home Depot, bought some plumbling and made yourself a sort of washer wand that bends up. That way you can just walk around the sides, stick it under there and wash it off? We don't have salt out here cause its too warm, but I use a long handled brush and duct-tape the hose to it.

The other idear would be to move down South and avoid the salt alltogether.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I did the laser carwash last year after winter with the underbody spray.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I read on here a while back about someone using one of those tractor lawn sprinklers that move, and running it under the truck. Sounded like a pretty good idea to me.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'm going to try that when it warms up a bit here in the Northeast.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #19
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I read on here a while back about someone using one of those tractor lawn sprinklers that move, and running it under the truck. Sounded like a pretty good idea to me.
LOL! I haven't seen one of those things in years. Do they still sell them? When I was a kid, I never knew what in the hell those things were supposed to be used for.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Around here, the coin car washes all have the flxible wands that you can angle up under with two hands and blast the heck out of the underside. My truck is undercoated / treated with oil and looks shiny after i get the salt crust off.

I usually bring a 5 gallon (re-capped drywall joint compound) bucket of slightly warm car wash subs and do a hand wash between the 1st round of spraying it all off and a final rinsing off of the soap from the hand wash. I apply wax with the same wand after rinsing and a few more quarters rinse the extra wax off.

Applying wax over a vehicle that is not hand washed is and still has a dirt film doesn't make a lot of sense.

After i pull out of the bay, i fset up camp off to the side somewaht and dry it with the wet chamois and dry towel i brought to seal the deal.

But beware, doing this with the temp below about 25-27 degrees results in a film of ice before i can dry it.

Do what you have to do to get through the winter and limit the potential for damage. Those lawn sprinklers don't compare to a good power washing of the underside. Better than nothing i guess, but they are too weak and not concentrated enough where needed.