Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

DA pads. What size?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
DA pads. What size?

I'm shopping for a polisher and pads. Everyone says pad choice is a matter of personal preference. So what is your preference? CCS or flat? 5.5", 6.5", or 7.5"? Or maybe even 4"? I'm new to machine polishing so any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
wmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nice
wmb67's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

I use the 5.5" ccs pads with good results on my Porter Cable DA.
I also purchased a 3" backing plate and 4" pads for smaller and harder to reach areas.

I like the ccs pads, but I'm sure the flat or hexlogic ones are fine also.

Check out the forums @ autopia.org or detailingworld.com for tons of great info and helpful members(i have no affiliation other than being a member).

Just remember to use the least aggressive pad/polish to begin... increasing the aggressiveness(?) as paint condition/results require.

Learning how to polish and properly maintain paint finishes was one of the best things I've done for my OCD .

My old 2000 Black Sand Pearl looked fantastic and now my 2009 Magnetic Gray Metallic still looks better than the day the dealer delivered it to me 3 years ago.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #3

I've been accused of OCD with my paint many times so a nice polisher is a natural progression I guess. I don't think I need much abrasion right now since my truck is 4 months old, but there are 3 or 4 areas that need attention due to the fact I'm forced to drive it on a daily basis. It seems like most kits on Autogeek include 6.5" pads for beginners but I like the idea of 5.5" better. It seems like you would have more control and be able to center the pad easier IDK. I am a little worried about removing to much paint on such a new truck so I think I'll practice on my wifes car first! LOL Thanks for the response, maybe I'll see ya on Autopia.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
I use a 8in pad from 3M and there compounds and machine. Whole kit runs about $550 with the quick change adapter. I use it buff all paint jobs and parts processed in the shop as well as my personal vehicles. They are the double sided pads too.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
conquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura about

conquistador's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased Porter Cable 7424 XP 2 months ago and had no previous experience with a buffer. I went with 5.5 and 4 inch pads. I haven't found a need to go any larger. I sometimes wish I had some 3 in. pads.

I purchase all my supplies from http://www.detailedimage.com/ they seem to be cheaper than Autopia and other sites. And always have special discounts on popular items and a great how to articles from pros. I have no affiliation with them.

But then again I'm just a weekend warrior and not a pro. I have spent about $700 on supplies over the past 3 months. My detailing closet is getting out of hand. It takes a lot to keep my fleet clean
Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
I just purchased Porter Cable 7424 XP 2 months ago and had no previous experience with a buffer. I went with 5.5 and 4 inch pads. I haven't found a need to go any larger. I sometimes wish I had some 3 in. pads.
True if you are not doing complete vehicles. I have little 3 in pads i run off a wired drill to do small parts and tight areas.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
I use a 8in pad from 3M and there compounds and machine. Whole kit runs about $550 with the quick change adapter. I use it buff all paint jobs and parts processed in the shop as well as my personal vehicles. They are the double sided pads too.
I like the idea of the 2 sided quick change system.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Have you ever nicked the paint with the backing plate using a 5.5" pad on a 5" plate?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
But then again I'm just a weekend warrior and not a pro. I have spent about $700 on supplies over the past 3 months. My detailing closet is getting out of hand. It takes a lot to keep my fleet clean
I hear ya! And I thaught having a new truck would be cheaper to maintain.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
I like the idea of the 2 sided quick change system.

Yea they are nice to have. You have to be careful around edges on plastic with the edge of the pads because they are somewhat abrasive.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #11

Well I ordered the pc7424xp last night. 5.5" flat pads plus 3.5" backing plate and some 4" spot buff pads. I put my own kit together instead of being stuck with their pre packed choices.