Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Dang Bugs....

Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
JWWPHOTO is on a distinguished road
JWWPHOTO's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Dang Bugs....

I live in South Louisiana, and in between washes I get a great deal of mosquitos and other critters impaled on the front of my Tacoma....

What do you guys use to remove them? Once they are softened up, it is a hell of alot easier to get them off.

What is the best product or technique to get them off and is there something that I can apply, besides paste wax, to keep them from sticking so much?

Jeff
Old 02-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Head of the MASTERS CIRCLE
mar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to behold

mar_ga_rita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWWPHOTO View Post
I live in South Louisiana, and in between washes I get a great deal of mosquitos and other critters impaled on the front of my Tacoma....

What do you guys use to remove them? Once they are softened up, it is a hell of alot easier to get them off.

What is the best product or technique to get them off and is there something that I can apply, besides paste wax, to keep them from sticking so much?

Jeff
I am from LA as well... NOLA area.... I use dryer sheets.... sounds crazy but it works.... also about a day or 2 after I wash n wax or if I know I am going to be going in an area with lotsa bugs... I spray a little Cooking spray on the front... and I use a Bug Shield... hope it helps..
Old 03-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
msco123 is a glorious beacon of lightmsco123 is a glorious beacon of lightmsco123 is a glorious beacon of lightmsco123 is a glorious beacon of lightmsco123 is a glorious beacon of lightmsco123 is a glorious beacon of light
msco123's Tacoma Gallery
Degreaser!

Just spray it on the bugs and they practically melt off. You will still have to scrub the more stubborn ones but with much less effort. This stuff will amaze you how easy it works.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
I use a kitchen sponge that is in a nylon wrap. The ones that say safe for non-stick cookware and glass. Make sure the area is wet and soapy and off come the bug guts. It works great on windshields too. I've used this on many vehicles and never a scratch. I had a black truck an not a swirl or mark to be found. JUST make sure it's wet and soapy like mentioned.

x2 on the cooking spray. When I go visit my parents in Florida, I drive from South Carolina thru Georgia. The bugs are pretty thick, especially driving at night (my preference). They wipe right off and the cooking spray does not stain. Cleans up with soap and water.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
As stated above, a non-stick spray could be used periodically. I ride dirt bikes in a lot of muddy areas and spray my entire bike with WD-40 before heading out to prevent the mud from sticking.

I don't imagine it would hurt the paint but you could also add a clear bra / liner and spray something on top of that.

A suggestion for your washing is to spray something on them and let it sit for a couple minutes (simple green diluted to 1:1 with water). Spray it on then wash the rest of the truck. Finish with the hood and the bugs should fall right off. Again, I do this on my dirt bike and it works well.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
wes is on a distinguished road

wes's Tacoma Gallery
mr.clean brand-MAJIC ERASER works great

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWWPHOTO View Post

Jeff
keep a good coat of wax on front of truck also.

majic eraser pad -from mr.clean
Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
MasterChief
MannyECG is on a distinguished road

MannyECG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by msco123 View Post
Just spray it on the bugs and they practically melt off. You will still have to scrub the more stubborn ones but with much less effort. This stuff will amaze you how easy it works.
Does it damage the paint?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I just read that WD-40 will do it and is safe for paint
Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
MasterChief
MannyECG is on a distinguished road

MannyECG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Good to know that. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_ga_rita View Post
I am from LA as well... NOLA area.... I use dryer sheets.... sounds crazy but it works.... also about a day or 2 after I wash n wax or if I know I am going to be going in an area with lotsa bugs... I spray a little Cooking spray on the front... and I use a Bug Shield... hope it helps..
X2 on the dryer sheets
Old 03-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Much like my application to the underside of the fenders on my dirt bike, some of you wheelers should use it in the wheel wells of your rigs to keep the mud to a minimum.

I actually spray my ENTIRE bike (minus the seat and grips).
Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
wd40 is no good for the paint
Old 03-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
We go through love bug (love bug my ass...should be called hump bug) season twice a year. I use Mothers bug and tar remover. It works but it's expensive. Subscribing to get better ideas!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
Head of the MASTERS CIRCLE
mar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to beholdmar_ga_rita is a splendid one to behold

mar_ga_rita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
We go through love bug (love bug my ass...should be called hump bug) season twice a year. I use Mothers bug and tar remover. It works but it's expensive. Subscribing to get better ideas!
try dryer sheets... my mom just puts them in a bag after she uses them in the dryer and thats what I use.... works great... Had heard about it bout 6 years ago and didnt think it worked so I tried it and wala... perfect
Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #16
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_ga_rita View Post
try dryer sheets... my mom just puts them in a bag after she uses them in the dryer and thats what I use.... works great... Had heard about it bout 6 years ago and didnt think it worked so I tried it and wala... perfect
Good deal will try it. Thanks!