Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Window Tint BS

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Good deal, thanks everyone. I had a heavy one on my Chevy truck but not sure of the # as it came new like that.
35% is the Legal limit in MA for the Front driver and passenger.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
(snip) Don't think theres much of a chance of me getting pulled over for, say, a 50%?
Why would you want to go that dark? You'd be blocking 50% of your visibility out that window. At night, you might as well cover the window with a light coat of black spray paint. You'd probably see just about as much.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider a tint, beyond the factory application, on any of the front windows (or the rear one). And, to be honest, I'm kind of surprised someone (with heavily tinted windows) hasn't already been sued following an accident under the premise of intentionally hindered visibility. Since someone can do something stupid that, while legal, can clearly harm another, legality doesn't limit liability.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
brother is getting me mine done as a christmas present. (been to cold to do it) i’m going 15% on the front doors and 35% on the back doors and back window.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
TACOmobbin is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
TACOmobbin's Tacoma Gallery
Limo (5%) in the back, 15% in the front. No strip.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #26
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
I have 20% on the side, i think the law is like 28% or something here, but i see tint darker than mine all the time and cops dont seem to mind the tint to be honest, at least in South Carolina. :O
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #28
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Why would you want to go that dark? You'd be blocking 50% of your visibility out that window. At night, you might as well cover the window with a light coat of black spray paint. You'd probably see just about as much.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider a tint, beyond the factory application, on any of the front windows (or the rear one). And, to be honest, I'm kind of surprised someone (with heavily tinted windows) hasn't already been sued following an accident under the premise of intentionally hindered visibility. Since someone can do something stupid that, while legal, can clearly harm another, legality doesn't limit liability.
50% is like the second lightest tint you can get. I'm not worried about nighttime visibility, since where I live there's a streetlight basically every hundred feet.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #29
dust ...
chris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Chris
chris66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what I have heard, but I just wanted to see what people have gotten away with. I mean not all of the mods that we do on here are what you'd call, "legal"
Don't think theres much of a chance of me getting pulled over for, say, a 50%?
hahaha pretty much most of the mods worth doing are illegal. i mean their is seriously a list of things that a cop can site you for. like your wheels stick out too much, no mudflaps, mudflaps not big enough, hid headlights (if they didnt come stock) etc etc

but the way tint is handled really annoys me. and when you live in a city where basically the worst things is having to worry about teenagers smoking weed and drinking cops have nothing better to do than issue traffic citations. a lot of the time you also have to be doing something to get stopped and then they see your tint so unless you're tint is pretty dark or noticeable you may get away with it. out here cops also love to stop kids and jam em for whatever they can and sad thing is sometimes they are other cops kids ... haha and because of things like this my dad decided not to get our two new cars front windows tinted. but hey you don't really see the people driving nice new mecerdes s550's get tickets for their tint... anyways im ranting and this probably doesnt make sense

ps: im surprised its not illegal to buy rims for your car here in CA. also how is it any safer if there is limo tint on the rear windows but none on the front? say you're approaching the vehicle from the rear, you can't see in the car anyways ...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #30
MxRiDa166 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chance
MxRiDa166's Tacoma Gallery
i have 4% all around with 30% windshield and 4% brow on my tacoma double cab and only been pulled over once by highway patrol that i wanted kick his ass for spiting sunflower seeds allover my truck lol.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #31
Soccerdallin is on a distinguished road

Name: Dallin
Soccerdallin's Tacoma Gallery
Back three windows are Limo (5%) and my passenger and driver windows are only 50%.
Stupid Utah..
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #32
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdallin View Post
Back three windows are Limo (5%) and my passenger and driver windows are only 50%.
Stupid Utah..
Exactly what I'm thinking of getting. You put all that on top of the factoy tint? Or did it come out to be 5% after all was said and done?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #33
Mpgillespie is on a distinguished road
Army: Blackhawk Helicopter Mechanic
Mpgillespie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I wouldn't get a dark tint if it was unsafe, since I've had LASIK, my eyes are very sensitive to light, it's not as dark as you think, can still look inside the truck from the outside. I want to protect the interior from fade, plus it's easier on my eyes. I take driving extremely seriously. I've never been in an accident that was my fault, I got hit by an erratic driver in a parking lot that had no tint at all. What I think is unsafe is people who tint their headlight and tail lights.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #34
Soccerdallin is on a distinguished road

Name: Dallin
Soccerdallin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Exactly what I'm thinking of getting. You put all that on top of the factory tint? Or did it come out to be 5% after all was said and done?
When my truck was stock it had absolutely no tint haha it was ridiculous, but it came out to be 50% on the two sides and 5% on the back three. Looks sweet.
Here's a pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Window Tint BS-2012-11-08-15.03.48.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #35
Dank Tank
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRiDa166 View Post
i have 4% all around with 30% windshield and 4% brow on my tacoma double cab and only been pulled over once by highway patrol that i wanted kick his ass for spiting sunflower seeds allover my truck lol.
30% windshield you say?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
as a CA resident, I have the fronts matched with the factory rears. I have a cop friend, in case I get a fixit ticket, though
Old 01-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #37
TwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to all

Name: Kyle
TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

factory tint is usually 20% witch is way darker than 50%....
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
watermelon has a spectacular aura aboutwatermelon has a spectacular aura about

watermelon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You obviously don't live in the desert!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #39
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRiDa166 View Post
How in the heck can you see? Lol. I wish tinted windshields were legal here..
Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #40
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
35% is the Legal limit in MA for the Front driver and passenger.

You can go darker than the 35% minimum.... You'll need to fill out an DMV application, a letter from your opthamologist, application goes before the board; blah, blah, blah.