Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Window Tint BS

Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Window Tint BS

Didnt see one like this, so I figured why not. Ask questions about window tint in here, I know there's a lot of confusion out there. I'll start

I'm in CA, and LEGALLY we can't go darker than 70%??? When other states are like ~30. My question is, how dark is your guys' tint on your drivers/passenger windows? (the front two). And do you guys have trouble with the cops?

EDIT: And how much did you guys pay for yours?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
well i havn't got around to doing the taco yet ( still new to me) but on my dodge and honda i had 5% all around with the strip and never been pulled over/questioned once for it. but i live in the middle of bumfuck georgia
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Both my wife and I got popped for tint on both of our cars (my old civic and her accord). Now, I don't mess with tint on the front, as I don't want anybody having probable cause.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Erik72 has a spectacular aura aboutErik72 has a spectacular aura about
Erik72's Tacoma Gallery
I just had my front windows to match the rear (50%). Cop's probably won't mess with you about it unless your doing something that your not supposed to be doing? Easy probable cause for a traffic stop if you are.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
24% on the front windows to match the factory rear windows and slider. Also 24% on the sides and rear widow on the wife's car, nothing on the windshield on either.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

Name: Matt
04trd's Tacoma Gallery
20%on the front side windows and 5 % on the front window brow
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

FastEddie's Tacoma Gallery
i have 30% on the front and law in MD is no lower than 35%. I also drive through PA, NJ, and DE a lot (all of which have 70% or no tint allowed). I have not gotten pulled over yet, but my friend got pulled over while I was in his car in MD for speeding and they tacked on $140 fine and a SERO for having a tint 3% too dark.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I never learned about tint, but I'm going to do the sliding rear on my truck.

Is the higher # a darker or lighter tint?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Mpgillespie is on a distinguished road
Army: Blackhawk Helicopter Mechanic
Mpgillespie's Tacoma Gallery
I just got 5% on the front and 15% over factory tint. I see just fine at night.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
27% on the front/side windows, which is legal here. It's lighter than the factory tint in the rear but somewhat close. A few years ago I was hit with a $250 tint ticket for 5% on my Scion.....learned my lesson.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
I never learned about tint, but I'm going to do the sliding rear on my truck.

Is the higher # a darker or lighter tint?
Lower the number, the darker it is.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Lower the number, the darker it is.
This. It's like the % of light that goes through. 35 is the law here. I'm planning on getting 20 someday.

EDIT. Mike beat me to it
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 20 I think on the front windows with a sunstrip as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal, thanks everyone. I had a heavy one on my Chevy truck but not sure of the # as it came new like that.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
Mpgillespie is on a distinguished road
Army: Blackhawk Helicopter Mechanic
Mpgillespie's Tacoma Gallery
Luckily, the local tint laws are extremely lenient. I've never had an issue while I was on active duty stationed throughout the US. Have had 5% on all my vehicles.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Awesome Member
WarEagleForLife will become famous soon enough
Name: Dylan
WarEagleForLife's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got 15 all the way around and havent had any problems since i got it two years ago
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
IronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Bad Cop, No Donut!
IronPig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
Didnt see one like this, so I figured why not. Ask questions about window tint in here, I know there's a lot of confusion out there. I'll start

I'm in CA, and LEGALLY we can't go darker than 70%??? When other states are like ~30. My question is, how dark is your guys' tint on your drivers/passenger windows? (the front two). And do you guys have trouble with the cops?
In California you can't have any tint on the front windows AT ALL. Obviously if you choose to tint, you may be stopped and cited. It is correctable (a fix-it ticket) but you just flushed the cost of the tint down the drain. If you do a "lighter" tint that is less noticeable, less chance of getting stopped. Google 26708VC..it is a long and boring read!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPig View Post
In California you can't have any tint on the front windows AT ALL. Obviously if you choose to tint, you may be stopped and cited. It is correctable (a fix-it ticket) but you just flushed the cost of the tint down the drain. If you do a "lighter" tint that is less noticeable, less chance of getting stopped. Google 26708VC..it is a long and boring read!
That's what I have heard, but I just wanted to see what people have gotten away with. I mean not all of the mods that we do on here are what you'd call, "legal"
Don't think theres much of a chance of me getting pulled over for, say, a 50%?