1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership chipped my paint!!! What would you do?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Wishbone1965, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    Wishbone1965

Wishbone1965 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4x4
    First of all, please forgive me if I use wrong terminology here. I'm new to all of this so bare with me. I'm not sure if this is even the correct place to post this thread.

So last week I took my 2013 Taco to the dealership to have them debadge it. I looked on TW as to how to DIY but its been really cold and I just didn't feel comfortable doing it myself as I was afraid I might scratch the paint. Took my rear bumper to a guy today to have the chrome sandblasted off and painted to match the truck (I hate chrome). While I was there I noticed the outline of the badges that I hadn't seen before. It looked liked dust had adhered to the area maybe where the sticky from the tape was not properly removed. I pointed it out and as he examined it closer he found paint chips that had touch up paint on them. The chips were on both doors and the tailgate. Grant it they were small and I didn't even notice them when I picked the truck up from the dealership. But the point is that they scratched the truck and knew it. Then tried to cover it up and didn't even tell me.

I took the truck back to the dealership today and let them know I was PISSED OFF about the whole thing. They offered to take care of all 3 panels,repaint and clear coat for me. But here is my de lima. The guy thats doing my bumper estimated it would be $800-$900 to do the 3 panels. I told the dealership I may just want them to pay that and take it to someone else because I didn't trust them anymore. So knowing I will get rock chips in the future and didn't even notice it to begin with. Would you have the dealership repaint it. Or would you take the $ and invest it into mods for your truck.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just really looking for some answers here.

Thanks

2. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    Thirteen20WRX

Thirteen20WRX Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD T|X PreRunner
    Eibach/Toytec springs, Front Bilstein 5100's set at .85, Rear Toytec 2" AAL, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
    Take the money! You don't want your panels resprayed anyway for small chips...someone in the know can usually tell if a body panel has been repainted (for resale value, etc.), and who's to say the dealership will match the factory color or the sheen on the clearcoat perfectly? Not to mention potential overspray issues...

3. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    JeanClaude

JeanClaude Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    I would have them give you the coin to have it fixed. But I would not repaint the whole panels. It is so rare that aftermarket painting looks as good as the original and if you go to sell the truck and someone finds out the whole panels have been painted, it's a turn off(imho). Just touch up the spots and move on.

4. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    nucktaco

nucktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    south surrey, bc
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport
    satoshi mod, sliders, tinted tails/3rd brake, 3" lift,
    first off ive never seen a toyota dealership with their own shop. they would most likely be sending to some random bodyshop that they deal with. 2nd i would say your lucky they are even offering to pay.

now 800 to respray those panels seems really cheap. if its your doors at the front edge where the emblems are they should be blending your fenders as the color will be off.

i would take the money and run as you seem to be an opportunist just waiting to scam someone out of money.

5. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    JeanClaude

JeanClaude Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    Where do you get that from?

6. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM
    Wishbone1965

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4x4
    Like I said I'm new to all of this so I guess I misspoke.There are many dealerships here owned by the same cooperation (Toyota, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan..etc...) There is a body shop at one of the dealerships that takes care of all of them.

As to your comment about me scamming someone out of money...that seem pretty judgmental! Maybe you should just keep your comments to yourself!

7. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
  8. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    Wishbone1965

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4x4
    Thirteen and JohnClaud thank you for the advice! I appreciate it...

9. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    Iceman1183

Iceman1183 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amit
    Cleveland Heights, OH
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black DCSB V6 4x4
    BHLM, FX-R projectors with 5000k HID bulbs, 5000k Fogs Weathertechs, Viper 5901 with Smartstart, Homertaco TRD Satoshi
    Ok, multiple things in this thread stick out, but I'll just list a couple.
    1. Took your truck to the dealer to have it debadged? Lesson learned, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
    2. You didn't even notice the blemishes in your paint until you scrutinized it at the shop; clearly, the blemishes in your paint aren't overwhelmingly noticeable.
    3. Repaint the doors and the tailgate? For a couple little chips? Nah, not worth it, plus like the above posters said, it'll never look quite right.
    4. I agree it's effed up that the dealership scratched your paint and tried to cover it up and not tell you about it. THAT'S shady.

All this being said, $900 bones for some little scratches that aren't even noticeable and are already covered up with touchup paint?! TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN

10. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    I just going to leave this here....

They offered to make good on the repairs. Let them fix it. If you choose to take it elsewhere, they may only pay the shop doing the work, not just hand you cash.

And if they give you the money, and you don't get the work done... well that's pretty dishonest.

And if you get a shop to claim to have done the work so you can get the money... that fraud. For them and you.

Now I'm not saying you will do any of this... but you are talking about taking money for repairs and pocketing it.

Frank

11. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    I used to work at one, and they always did an excellent job on collision repairs as well as touch ups, and custom work.

Products Discussed in

To Top