LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Dealership chipped my paint!!! What would you do?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wishbone1965's Tacoma Gallery
Dealership chipped my paint!!! What would you do?

First of all, please forgive me if I use wrong terminology here. I'm new to all of this so bare with me. I'm not sure if this is even the correct place to post this thread.

So last week I took my 2013 Taco to the dealership to have them debadge it. I looked on TW as to how to DIY but its been really cold and I just didn't feel comfortable doing it myself as I was afraid I might scratch the paint. Took my rear bumper to a guy today to have the chrome sandblasted off and painted to match the truck (I hate chrome). While I was there I noticed the outline of the badges that I hadn't seen before. It looked liked dust had adhered to the area maybe where the sticky from the tape was not properly removed. I pointed it out and as he examined it closer he found paint chips that had touch up paint on them. The chips were on both doors and the tailgate. Grant it they were small and I didn't even notice them when I picked the truck up from the dealership. But the point is that they scratched the truck and knew it. Then tried to cover it up and didn't even tell me.

I took the truck back to the dealership today and let them know I was PISSED OFF about the whole thing. They offered to take care of all 3 panels,repaint and clear coat for me. But here is my de lima. The guy thats doing my bumper estimated it would be $800-$900 to do the 3 panels. I told the dealership I may just want them to pay that and take it to someone else because I didn't trust them anymore. So knowing I will get rock chips in the future and didn't even notice it to begin with. Would you have the dealership repaint it. Or would you take the $ and invest it into mods for your truck.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just really looking for some answers here.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Thirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2005-2009, separated as O-3 after 4 years at Tinker AFB
Name: Joe
Thirteen20WRX's Tacoma Gallery
Take the money! You don't want your panels resprayed anyway for small chips...someone in the know can usually tell if a body panel has been repainted (for resale value, etc.), and who's to say the dealership will match the factory color or the sheen on the clearcoat perfectly? Not to mention potential overspray issues...
Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
I would have them give you the coin to have it fixed. But I would not repaint the whole panels. It is so rare that aftermarket painting looks as good as the original and if you go to sell the truck and someone finds out the whole panels have been painted, it's a turn off(imho). Just touch up the spots and move on.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
nucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
nucktaco's Tacoma Gallery
first off ive never seen a toyota dealership with their own shop. they would most likely be sending to some random bodyshop that they deal with. 2nd i would say your lucky they are even offering to pay.

now 800 to respray those panels seems really cheap. if its your doors at the front edge where the emblems are they should be blending your fenders as the color will be off.

i would take the money and run as you seem to be an opportunist just waiting to scam someone out of money.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucktaco View Post
... as you seem to be an opportunist just waiting to scam someone out of money.
Where do you get that from?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
first off ive never seen a toyota dealership with their own shop. they would most likely be sending to some random bodyshop that they deal with. 2nd i would say your lucky they are even offering to pay.

now 800 to respray those panels seems really cheap. if its your doors at the front edge where the emblems are they should be blending your fenders as the color will be off.

i would take the money and run as you seem to be an opportunist just waiting to scam someone out of money.
Like I said I'm new to all of this so I guess I misspoke.There are many dealerships here owned by the same cooperation (Toyota, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan..etc...) There is a body shop at one of the dealerships that takes care of all of them.

As to your comment about me scamming someone out of money...that seem pretty judgmental! Maybe you should just keep your comments to yourself!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #8

Thirteen and JohnClaud thank you for the advice! I appreciate it...
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Do you work for a Toyota dealer by chance?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Iceman1183 has a spectacular aura aboutIceman1183 has a spectacular aura aboutIceman1183 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Amit
Iceman1183's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, multiple things in this thread stick out, but I'll just list a couple.
1. Took your truck to the dealer to have it debadged? Lesson learned, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
2. You didn't even notice the blemishes in your paint until you scrutinized it at the shop; clearly, the blemishes in your paint aren't overwhelmingly noticeable.
3. Repaint the doors and the tailgate? For a couple little chips? Nah, not worth it, plus like the above posters said, it'll never look quite right.
4. I agree it's effed up that the dealership scratched your paint and tried to cover it up and not tell you about it. THAT'S shady.

All this being said, $900 bones for some little scratches that aren't even noticeable and are already covered up with touchup paint?! TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN
Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
I just going to leave this here....

They offered to make good on the repairs. Let them fix it. If you choose to take it elsewhere, they may only pay the shop doing the work, not just hand you cash.

And if they give you the money, and you don't get the work done... well that's pretty dishonest.

And if you get a shop to claim to have done the work so you can get the money... that fraud. For them and you.

Now I'm not saying you will do any of this... but you are talking about taking money for repairs and pocketing it.

Frank
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
first off ive never seen a toyota dealership with their own shop.
I used to work at one, and they always did an excellent job on collision repairs as well as touch ups, and custom work.