Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cleaning foggy headlights..

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning foggy headlights..

1999 Tacoma, the headlights are real foggy. Any DIY homeade tricks? Thought about some kind of wetsanding/compound maybe?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
voodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of light

voodootruckers's Tacoma Gallery
Local mechanic showed me a little bit of brake fluid, a rag, and a low abrasive pad with a little bit of elbow grease. May need to reapply ever so often.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodootruckers View Post
Local mechanic showed me a little bit of brake fluid, a rag, and a low abrasive pad with a little bit of elbow grease. May need to reapply ever so often.
You have to re-apply because it eats the protective layer so they get foggier quicker.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
ive heard of toothpaste working...
Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
ive heard of toothpaste working...
Yup, toothpase, vinegar, light rubbing compound.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
I use this on the ladies 02 prerunner, works well. Keeps em clear for a few months. Plastx by Meguiars. http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4596
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
No matter what is used to polish them, they will fog again quickly unless protected.
You can try waxing every weekend, but best is a quality clearcoat.

Still need to wax regularly.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
So whats everyone do? Buy new ones? Cheapo ebay? Take em out, clean em and spraypaint clear coat them?

thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
$160 for a pair of Depo housings on Amazon.
Depo is the only manufacturer other than Toyota that I trust. I bought a set of Spyders for my wife's Rav4, and while they haven't leaked, the light pattern is terrible.

Once you get the new ones in, keep them clean and waxed.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd use some rubbing compound or something like the 3M headlight restoration kit, clear coat them and put them back on the truck.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
I use this on the ladies 02 prerunner, works well. Keeps em clear for a few months. Plastx by Meguiars. http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4596
I use this, works well, I wouldn't say months though. The headlight restoration kits work well (approx. $60). Those will last the longest and work the best, basically you are sanding and buffing and polishing it. I was going to try some thing on my dummy set soon and I'll let you know.

Instead of buying the kits I will save some money and just try some extra fine wet sand paper, then polish. I'll post results.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
radredtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
radredtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wetsanding then buffing is the real way to go on restoring headlights 100%. 3m headlight restoration kit is great. I just buffed my slighty foggy headlights on my 2005 with my porter cable 7424xp (da buffer), 5.5in foam cutting pad, and meguiars Ultimate compound. They came out amazing. I followed up with Meguiars #26 high tech yellow wax (my favorite). They werent that bad so wetsanding wasn't necessary.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
folmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shedfolmonty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monty
folmonty's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by radredtaco View Post
Wetsanding then buffing is the real way to go on restoring headlights 100%. 3m headlight restoration kit is great. I just buffed my slighty foggy headlights on my 2005 with my porter cable 7424xp (da buffer), 5.5in foam cutting pad, and meguiars Ultimate compound. They came out amazing. I followed up with Meguiars #26 high tech yellow wax (my favorite). They werent that bad so wetsanding wasn't necessary.
+1 to what radredtaco says. The 3M kit is the shit to use. $12 something on Amazon and $16 or so at Wallyworld. I used the folmonty (everything) in the kit due to a truck that sat outside for 8 years. Also did my wifes Chevy Equinox with the same kit. Only memo worth noting : be sure to tape the area around the lens well. You can't control the sanding that good and it will eat your paint or trim pieces PDQ leaving a mark. Kit is easy to use. Well worth the time / effort. Body shops get $125 or more to do this. Really helps appearance of the vehicle.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
radredtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
radredtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by folmonty View Post
+1 to what radredtaco says. The 3M kit is the shit to use. $12 something on Amazon and $16 or so at Wallyworld. I used the folmonty (everything) in the kit due to a truck that sat outside for 8 years. Also did my wifes Chevy Equinox with the same kit. Only memo worth noting : be sure to tape the area around the lens well. You can't control the sanding that good and it will eat your paint or trim pieces PDQ leaving a mark. Kit is easy to use. Well worth the time / effort. Body shops get $125 or more to do this. Really helps appearance of the vehicle.
Pop the hood, tape off grill, and surrounding painted surfaces like the front fender and bumper, follow directions and your good to go!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
REDdawn6 is on a distinguished road

REDdawn6's Tacoma Gallery
What about this fog building up inside my headlight? This bothers me so much!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
How long does it usually take for headlights to start getting hazy? Is it just the sun that causes this?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Wet sanding and compound then clear coat them. Start with a 600 then 1000. clear them. you can wet sand with a 1500 after that then 2500. then buff them with a compound.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #18
thebaker will become famous soon enoughthebaker will become famous soon enough

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
Wet sanding and compound then clear coat them. Start with a 600 then 1000. clear them. you can wet sand with a 1500 after that then 2500. then buff them with a compound.

what are people using to clear coat their headlights?