1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opti-Glass application video and long-term comparo vs Carpro Flyby30

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by JeanClaude, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jan 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    JeanClaude

JeanClaude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    I've had Flyby30 installed on my truck since 1/15/13 and just received a sample of the Opti-Glass coating. I decided to do a head to head comparo. The passenger side has flyby30 installed and the driver side now has Opti-Glass. The Flyby30 has a 7 day advance on installation and should be noted moving forward.

The Opti-Glass has a different application process. Like Opti-Guard, it has a very limited work time. Opti-Guard gives us about 5 minutes after applying before requiring leveling/dry buffing. Opti-Glass has 60 seconds before you must buff off the residue. It was emphasized that you really don't want to leave it on too long. My plan was to work in smaller areas so that there was not an opportunity for it to set up too fast.

Full disclosure: I applied 2 coats of the flyby30 and did the same with the Opti-Glass. What you're seeing in the video is the second application. Though, it applied the same the first time around.

My process for the application was to tape off one side and remove the flyby30 from one of the sides. I used polish and a microfiber towel to remove the flyby30 and followed up with an IPA wipedown. I spritzed water on both sides and confirmed that all of the flyby30 was removed from the side the Opti-Glass went on. While the side with the flyby30 had water beading, the other side showed signs of absolutely no coatings. The water sat all nice and ugly like you're used to on untreated glass.

The video of the application: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDdO51wYr0&feature=youtu.be

I will follow up with more information as it becomes available during the comparo.

2. Jan 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    JeanClaude

JeanClaude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
  3. Jan 29, 2013 at 3:04 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Interesting work JeanClaude! Looking forward to additional feedback.

Products Discussed in

To Top