LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Opti-Glass application video and long-term comparo vs Carpro Flyby30

Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Opti-Glass application video and long-term comparo vs Carpro Flyby30

I've had Flyby30 installed on my truck since 1/15/13 and just received a sample of the Opti-Glass coating. I decided to do a head to head comparo. The passenger side has flyby30 installed and the driver side now has Opti-Glass. The Flyby30 has a 7 day advance on installation and should be noted moving forward.

The Opti-Glass has a different application process. Like Opti-Guard, it has a very limited work time. Opti-Guard gives us about 5 minutes after applying before requiring leveling/dry buffing. Opti-Glass has 60 seconds before you must buff off the residue. It was emphasized that you really don't want to leave it on too long. My plan was to work in smaller areas so that there was not an opportunity for it to set up too fast.

Full disclosure: I applied 2 coats of the flyby30 and did the same with the Opti-Glass. What you're seeing in the video is the second application. Though, it applied the same the first time around.

My process for the application was to tape off one side and remove the flyby30 from one of the sides. I used polish and a microfiber towel to remove the flyby30 and followed up with an IPA wipedown. I spritzed water on both sides and confirmed that all of the flyby30 was removed from the side the Opti-Glass went on. While the side with the flyby30 had water beading, the other side showed signs of absolutely no coatings. The water sat all nice and ugly like you're used to on untreated glass.

The video of the application: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDd...ature=youtu.be

I will follow up with more information as it becomes available during the comparo.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Optimum Opti-Glass vs Carpro Flyby30 Water Shedding - YouTube

From the video you'll see the obvious differences in the two different products. Flyby30 sheets really nicely and opti-glass does an amazing job shedding with beads.

When I can drive in some heavy downfalls I will give more feedback.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #3
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Interesting work JeanClaude! Looking forward to additional feedback.